Flaking ceiling help!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by christinen, Nov 3, 2015.

1. christinen

christinen New Member

Hi everyone, can I get some advice please, we are decorating our kitchen and I scraped off some loose paint on the ceiling....and ended up doing the WHOLE LOT :( ... now that it has all been taken off what should I use to seal it please so that we can re-paint and what paint should we buy?...I've heard that you should NOT seal it with PVA, by the way there is no damp....can anyone advise please....thank you

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use Everbuild 406 stabilising fluid, give the ceiling one coat, most likely two, allow each coat dry throughly, then paint.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  4. christinen

christinen New Member

Would appreciate further help please....I am still struggling with flakey paint on my kitchen ceiling, we are planning on using a textured paint ( to cover a multitude of sins!) but do I really have to scrape off the whole ceiling first? or is there anything I can paint on to stop the paint flaking off before I use the textured stuff?....need help asap please as this is holding up the decorating work....thank you

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope.

If you sealed the flakey paint there is no guarentee that bits won't come away later.
    As I said earlier you need to seal the ceiling before painting any finish, as it is friable, quite common if it's distemper painted ceilings, & Everbuild 406 stabilising fluid is perfect for the job: Link in earlier reply.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

As KAIB said scrape off really loose stuff and then use a stabilizer, its the fault of whoever painted the ceiling last time, unfortunately you have got the short straw!
    Depending on how good your DIY skills are as you are going for textured I would use a blown vinyl paper with a light random texture, then emulsion. The paste will be a good grab on the ceiling and any small lose bis you miss should be covered.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And make sure you wear a dust mask, could be all sort of nasties in the dust, & don't forget eye protection as well.

8. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Rip the lot down and re board and skim or overboard and skim :)
    It's not as bad as folk think we often redo bathroom ceilings when fitting new suites etc

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah agree, overboard and skim.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  10. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

You may want to try a coat of, Zinseer Peel Stop.

Amazing product, I then filled, lined and painted to immaculate finish.

You could just paint.