flat portch has no guttering

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by paul-diy, Nov 10, 2014.

1. paul-diy

paul-diy New Member

Hiya new here.Just bought a house which has a flat portch with no guttering. This was never a problem I guess until I moved in dug up the paving and front garden and block paved it. Now a waterfall off the portch splashes sand out of blocks joining to house. Can I just add guttering with a flow pipe against the house and let water run from top of driveway? Are there any regulations or issues I need to be aware of or any better ideas??? Ta

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you have permeable paving blocks or is there a water garden designed to take away, the surface water. As I understand it an area paved larger than 5m3 (5 square meters) needs to meet SUDS regulations.

3. paul-diy

paul-diy New Member

Hello, well there is no water garden so must be permeable. No one mentioned SUDS. It only is a problem after heavy rain. Can it just drain off the drive?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes, should be fine. You may get away with the use of mini guttering.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

6. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

an area paved larger than 5m3...........5 cubic metres?..:D

7. paul-diy

paul-diy New Member

What mini guttering?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

9. paul-diy

paul-diy New Member

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If this is just a normal sized porch, just fit guttering and let it run onto the drive, the amount of water won't be a problem, you will how ever have sand erosion at the point of outlet if it's straight onto the block paving, to overcome thisyou could put a paving slab at that point with a pot plant on it, this will spread the water before it hits the blocks.