Flexible Tap Connector Hoses - are they a bodge?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by rmc, May 25, 2015.

1. rmc

rmc Member

These sort of flexible connectors are in use everywhere it seems:

[​IMG]

They must have greatly eased the fitting of WC float valves and taps where once a lot of careful pipe bending was required. But a friend was told by his plumber that as they're internally just rubber, which over time will perish and split, they will eventually lead to leaks & floods. The plumber claimed to have seen this happen and didn't use them himself.

I just wondered what the professionals thought - have you found them splitting internally & leaking?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It is possible, but then again, it is possible for a solid joint to leak after a while, as you say they are everywhere, there's a reason for this, that reason is, they do as it says on the tin, so to speak.

3. rmc

rmc Member

Agreed, nothing is perfect. As they've been common for 10 or maybe 20 years to my memory(?), are you plumbers ever getting called out to just this fault?

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Yes I have but not regularly. If the flexi-pipe as been badly kinked or bent sharply then it is doomed to fail sooner or later.

5. rmc

rmc Member

But no failures from normal/sensible installation bends? That's nice to know if so.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

another major factor is the price, wiegh up the cost of a copper tap connector, the copper to fix it the time and effort bending,soldering and struggling under a bath/sink etc and the flexi wins hands down,

FatHands likes this.
  7. rmc

rmc Member

Agreed, I don't think flexis are going anywhere soon. I suppose ditto push-fit O-ring joints. Not pretty in my estimation, but price or convenience will always win.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Stick an isolation valve in before the flexi and it's a piece of weewee to change if it does fail.

9. Derek.K

Derek.K New Member

I resisted using these for years as I didnt see how they could beat a good old rigid pipe, but I was required to install one for a standing water unit one day which needed to be cleaned around and never turned back.. They're great, and can take a hell of a lot of pressure too, never seen one bust..

The isolation tap as mentioned above is always a good idea too.