Floating shelf strengthening - Free standing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by blackteaonesugar, Aug 24, 2016.

1. blackteaonesugar

blackteaonesugar New Member

Ay up.

I've got to build a load of floating shelving for a shoe shop display.
    The wall is plasterboard with uprights(so pretty normal really)

The shelves have to be 50mm thick and 300mm deep. There are a LOT of them.
    The trouble is, is that they want them in long continuous runs, with no intermediate support by way of pillars or owt, the longest run about 8 metres.

Initially I've built very simple 2x1 framework, screwed to the wall with plasterboard coarse screw in inserts, and with washers and then skinned with 6mm mdf. It works ok but there is always a small amount of sag.

[​IMG]

I know you can buy floating shelf supports, but are these worth bothering with as they tend to be fairly short, and for a 300mm deep shelf, will they make much difference?

Anyone have any good tips for maximising the strength of a floating shelf within a relatively thin section?

Also, are those screw in inserts about the best way of doing multiple(very multiple) fixings with strength in plasterboard or are the expanding behind the board type of fixing better in this sort of instance?
    [​IMG]

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I would use the other type of plasterboard fixings which need the setting tool.

I find them stronger when used properly with the setting tool. Sorry but I forget the name.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I wouldn't be fixing any floating shelves to plasterboard for a shoe shop!

I would be fixing to whatever the plasterboard is fixed to.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

GoodwithWood and tore81 like this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

5. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

this needs a rethink. most shop fittings are not that solid as they only have a limited life expectancy, and can easily be undone.

You would need something substantial enough to make the shelves from in order to achieve an impressive display, and that means weight.

You need to see if the wall can take any real load. I would only do the job if I included the wall as well as the shelves.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. neibick76

neibick76 Member

Would it not be right to build a false wall and then you will know were all you strong points are. Plastsrboard over it. This way i guess you can build it to were the shop needs the shelves.

7. As DW and Nei (and others) say, you'd be nuts to try and get away with this using plasterboard fixings. Because you won't get away with it.

You either anchor in to the actual vertical studs behind the board - if they are strong enough (use similar to 'timber beam' fixings so's you slide the shelves on afterwards) or else start with a complete new timber frame over this wall.

This frame can then have all the fixings you will need incorporated in to them, or else you build the actual shelves in to the framework and then board (MDF) in between so's they look as tho' they are coming out from the wall.

neibick76 likes this.