Flooding

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Amazing how the politicians and warmists blame global warming when it's the fault of the EU in banning river dredging. I personally blame the government for not standing up to the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

2. Really, Harry?

I didn't know that at all at all.

It's all down to the Eurocrats not allowing us to dredge our rivers?

Well, I neffer...

Anyhoo, I personally blame the rain.

3. Harry Stottle

4. Oops, I was being flippant before (soz... :oops: ) but that does make surprising reading.

Blimey.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Vote for independence at the coming referendum. And we can start dredging the rivers again.

KIAB likes this.
  6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Yes well actually it has a big part to play.
    11% of England is now concreted over so that doesn't help either. The run off is immense.

And nothing but clogged up rivers to try and cope with it.

KIAB likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whilst it is sad for the home owners, I wonder if there at least the smaller builders in the affected towns will get a reasonable chunk of the work

9. Harry Stottle

Your link is right Chippie, no dredging is only one aspect and what happens upstream contributes to the problem too. One thing's certain, global warning, or climate change as it's now called, isn't the cause because equally heavy rainfalls have occurred many times in recent years.

My sympathy is with those folks who have been flooded, particularly those who can't get insurance.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My brother and brother in law both live in Cumbria.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have they been flooded or managed to escape the deluge

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Both villages flooded but they are both on high ground so houses ok. Couldn't get in or out though as road was in valley.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You just don't get roadside ditches being regularly cleared out nowadays, & it's the same problem with streams,brooks & rivers.

I was looking at some old photo's of me looking over a bridge at a river, taken over 40 years ago, it had two spans, today it has one,the silt has built over the years widening the river banks & narrowing the river to a mere stream.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't get them in towns & cities....:eek:

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I live in a village at that time!