Floodlight remote switching

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jim122, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Jim122

Jim122 New Member

Hi,
    I have been asked to add a way of remote switching to a circuit containing 2x outdoor floodlights. They want to be able to turn the floodlights on from a remote location to be able to monitor the garden when not at home during the night at random times using a CCTV monitoring app, turning the floodlights on to get a better view. At the minute the floodlights are on their own circuit from the CU and switched on a 2 gang switch shared with the kitchen lights. They have Orvibo S20 sockets in place throughout the house so was asked if these could preferably be used but obviously this would require the floodlights to be fitted with a 3 pin plug, at the minute they are wired in 1.5mm twin and earth. Also i'm told that if this method interrupts the current switching arragement then this plan has to go out the window, so it has to be the current switch and also Wi-Fi switching which has stumped me.

Help appreciated
    Regards.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Dont Orvibo do a relay you can wire across the switch contacts, failing that put a plug on a contactor, plug it into the Orvibo and wire that across the switch. Or lightwave does a good range in this sort of thing.

Altenatively, CCTV DVRs had alarm contacts on them which you could use to operate relays for things such as outside lights.

3. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

Put the supply into a single socket then feed the lights through a WIFI plug.

4. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Don't be a cheap skate buy some commercial CCTV with good night vision.