floor tiles on old tiles

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ian101, Aug 20, 2016.

1. ian101

ian101 New Member

Hi can you lay floor tiles over floor tiles in a kitchen

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I'd say maybe. The big problem is levels. New over old is +10-15mm. If the old tiles are mega solid and the levels work out, why not? high performance adhesive and large format tiles I'm sure would be just fine - I'd do it rather than try and lay onto a very thick bed of adhesive if the levels worked that way. Any looseness/movement though and it's def a no.

4. ian101

ian101 New Member

i spoke to topps tiles today and they say it fine to. its quite normal to on floor but can be a problem on wall so i think i will try it.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about any doorways,you raising kitchen floor height, your creating a trip hazard from other rooms.

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

"i spoke to topps tiles today and they say it fine to"

Well to paraphrase the late Randy Mice- Davies " They would wouldn't they"

Take the damn things up and start again.:)

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The correct way to do the job...:)

Too many if & buts tiling on top of the exsisting tiles.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    PaulBlackpool likes this.
  8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Mostly I'd agree, but if I was trying to raise the kitchen floor to level up to say a 20mm engineered wood floor in an adjacent room, I'd defo lay on top of sound existing tiles instead of trying to build a 10-12mm bed of adhesive to get the level. In any case taking up well fixed existing tiles and getting a nice flat surface when they have been well fastened down to a concrete floor can be a b*****d. It all depends on the levels.

And BAL flooring adhesive provides preparation information for existing glazed tiles. - They recommend modifying adhesive with addition of diluted ADMIX

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  9. Gary Brearton

Gary Brearton New Member

Yes you can just treat it like a solid floor but make sure grout lines for top and bottom are offset if grout lines are ontop of each other it will be a very weak point.Obviously look at levels at the door and joining into other rooms