floor tiles.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by d4vew557, Feb 1, 2012.

1. d4vew557

d4vew557 New Member

due to the state of the floor boards in my bathroom i am going to fit a 3/4 ply floor over them. i will be putting the bath on this ply aswel, i am plannig on tiling the floor and was think of using  ditra matting on top of the ply but my question is it will take more than one board to cover the floor where do i put the joint of the two boards.
    The way the room is layed out i can have it 6cm in front of the bath or further across to the middle of the floor.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would choose the 45cm away from bath option. Put extra screws (ply to floorboard)near the edge of the bath(any change in weight or movement there would be worst) .

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. d4vew557

d4vew557 New Member

i agree with what you are saying about weight change near the bath being worst. the only thing with coming 45cm out would put the joint right where you walk in to the room, would this be an issue or would the ply not move under the weight of people walking on it.

4. Mr. Handyandy

If the floorboards and joists are sound, no problem. The best place to have a joint, would be along the centre of a joist(if that's the way you are laying the long side). Even if you have to cut the ply to get there, all the better for it (lay the cut edge to the wall, use the manufactured edges to meet). Extra screws at joints.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. d4vew557

d4vew557 New Member

unfortunately the joint will have to  the opposite way to the joists due to the terrible layout of the room.

how about it i have the joint as close to the bath as possible then cut the second sheet under the edge of the bath side panel in effect making three pieces but as i'm only tiling up to the bath any movement of the ply the bath is standing on would not effect the tiles.

Or would this then weaken the base the bath is standing on.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Sounds ok. You have to think that the bath was on just floorboards, so now it's gonna be on ply too, it's gonna be stiffer anyway.
    I was going to suggest stopping and starting at the edge of the bath, but was really thinking of having the largest size boards as possible.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. d4vew557

d4vew557 New Member

I didn't really want to cut the boards as you say less and bigger pieces are better, thinking about it though i may be better moving the whole board across to the edge of the bath and putting a piece in the other side as this will be next to the wall where nobody will be walking

8. Mr. Handyandy

9. stanzoe

stanzoe New Member

People now go for the bigger pieces, because they are reliable and easy to put on floor...

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

10. fayepmill

fayepmill New Member

If you plan to get a new flooring for your home, you would want to get your  money's worth. In the world of rising prices for all the things these days, you  would be interested to get good quality laminate wood flooring at a reasonable price visit *

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator