Floorboard Gun Nails vs Hammer Nails vs Screws

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tellme_why, May 1, 2016.

1. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Hello Forum,
    May I ask your advice with a repair on bed floorboard entrance (sixites house).
    Three floorboards are nailed down on left side joist and also nailed down on right side joist. They are not properly nailed down on the centre joist; they are hanging about 10 mm above the centre joist for some reason; maybe left, centre and right joists are not well aligned or maybe the heavy water tank sitting on right side floorboard tends push down weight on the right side and lift the floorboards in the centre.
    As result the three floorboards make a little step which feel bad even under the carpet.

I want to push down the floorboards in the centre and secure them to the centre joist.

-Few posts says that screw are a best option to secure boards to joists however I have few screws already somewhere in my floor and seems that screws do not hold overtime
    -The original nails are a bit rusty but seems they hold plenty of force and keep the floorboard well connected to the joist. I am not sure whether the original nail were installed by hammer or gun back in the sixites.

Question:

What is the best way to nail down floorboards to joist for lasting connection?
    -Screws
    -Nails using Gun
    -Nails using hammer

Nail gun would require buying the kit which is super expensive for just 3 boards.
    If I contract out to carpenter I am worried that using gun may damage the heating pipes nearby.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Use screws.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Decent screws like Spax.

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Don't get a nail gun, your missus may one day use it on you.:/

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Don't get a nail gun, your missus maybe tempted to use it on you one day.
    How did the grommet crisis work out?
    :)

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Screws, definitely screws.
    Not a single one should become loose.

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Must agree with Kiab, Spax are brill. our hosts don't sell them,so you'll have to go next door to TS ;);)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Whoops,apologies. :eek::eek: I was thinking of Reisser. Same thing, but cheaper. ;)

KIAB likes this.
  10. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Hi, thanks.. should I drill a pilot hole for the spax?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dependent on your wood, sometimes you can drive a spax straight through & no splitting, other times it needs a pilot hole to prevent splitting.

If your floorboard has cupped, could try turning board over & screwing down, might go down flatter.

AND mark were your pipes are, it's all too easy to forget & put a screw through a pipe.:rolleyes:

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just screw ;)

13. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

ALLWAYS drill a pilot hole in the ends of boards, apart from that use your discretion.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Make sure you get the boards as close to the beams as you can before driving the screws in - whilst the screws can pull the boards oown the can just as easily drill their way through the board.