Flooring attic

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jay459, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I will be flooring my attic next week and have added insulation to deal with. I plan to just put more timber down on the existing trusses, build it up so to speak.

I measure the trusses at 38x97mm, this would be 1.5x3.5. But do i just ask for 2x4 or is it called 1.5x3.5...obviously i only need the cheapest stuff going so what is the lowest quality thats available.

and will just be flooring the attic centre, the trusses are 2.4m long, should i put down full 2.4 lengths on top or just small sections to save money...

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Is it just for storage? If so use loft legs. They will cost you less and do exactly what you require. Just whacking more timber on top of the exsting isn't a great idea.

3. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Yea just for storage. But I want it to be sturdy. I seen those legs and they are quite dear. You would probably need about 100 of them to do the attic.

Why is building up the timber a bad idea?

4. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

To build up enough depth to achieve the currently required thickness (270mm) of insulation you may be best using the legs but I agree that they are a both pricey and flimsy.

In the past I have run 100 x 25 rough swan boards (really cheap stuff) running at right angles to the rafters with occasional noggins in between to keep them upright. If the rafters are 75mm this gives 175mm total depth. Having the cross timbers also ensures that you distribute any localised load over many trussses. I boarded directly onto this frame. In one case we then laid 25mm celotex on top of that with 6mm ply loose on top to make a walkable surface (but don't go dancing on it).

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

You will be adding a great deal of weight to a ceiling that wouldn't have necessarily been designed for it.

I have used the loft legs many many times and they are perfectly suited for what you are trying to do.

Once they are down and boarded you cant tell the difference.

At about a quid a leg I would be very surprised if it costs more than the timber required.