Flooring

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mousemat, Aug 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mousemat

mousemat New Member

Hi all, I am intending making a brick building that will have outside dimensions on 14m x 10m. I would like some advice on floor joists across the shorter span.

I know that it is too long to do it as a single span but would one support wall underneath be sufficient or would I need two. Any advice on width and depth also greatly appreciated.

Also, would it be better/easier/cheaper to have a concrete floor that is covered in plastic with thinner batons resting on it.

I also need to take costs and the weight into account as I will be doing most of it myself and don't want to bust a gut lugging around materials that are heavier than necessary.

Thank you,
    mousemat

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

For that area of floor, laid 100mm of Kingspan insulation or similar, along with a damp proof membrane, & then pour ready mixed concrete,but I have no idea on costs in Europe.

You could look at engineer I joists, should be readily available in 10mtr & 14mtr lengths, but you would be looking at two, more likely three support walls minimum, depending on the loading,possible,bounce.

For a dojo, I go concrete floor & maybe a better higher weight mat.

3. mousemat

mousemat New Member

Hi Kiab, thanks for the reply. I am laying floorboards mostly (some mats) as iaido is done on a wooden floor. A slight spring in the floor is also desirable when we do the rolling around stuff.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Iaido is a martial art I know very little about it.

In that case I joists might be a better option,but you could also laid concrete floor, then laid joists on that, along with sheet flooring, used a dojo in my younger days, but never built a dojo.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

KIAB, please don't take this the wrong way. I hope to be helpful.

I laid a floor yesterday.
    I will lay a floor tomorrow.

:cool:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  6. mousemat

mousemat New Member

I am starting to think that a concrete floor with batons bolted on with joists on top of them. So, next thing, is 100mm sufficient depth for the floor. Also, do I need polythene or some other damp proof layer put down before pouring the concrete.

I was wondering if this would be the best way as, if I brush on a damp proof layer, would drilling into it to install the bolts breach the paint on damp proofing?

mousemat