Flues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ethan001, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Ethan001

Ethan001 New Member

Hi, im looking for some guidence on screwing flues together.

On a worcester boiler (or any other boiler)i know you should use the self tapping screws provided. But can any other screws be used Providing there not to long too pierce the inner flue. I.e if a inch wood screw was used, would that be wrong or even classed as at risk? Any information would be great.

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Why would you not use the screws provided??

3. Ethan001

Ethan001 New Member

In this situation a self tapping screw hasnt been used a wood screw has. And can find any info on weather this is acceptable or not.

4. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

a wood screw is not designed to hold into metal so its not really suitable. get some self tappers from screwfix.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Sounds like someone lost the packet of self tappers on install. Itchys advice is good simply replace them wit self tappers.
    Be a good idea when you undo them to check there length if its gone into the flue duct then a new flue will be needed.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You could contact WB spares administrator, they should send out some spare screws by fedEX. As I had to request a few. Originally they sent out the wrong ones.

The part no I think is 2-918-140-017-0

This is a picture of the correct screw.

WB Screw.jpg

7. Jeepers, Jit has outKIABed KIAB. :rolleyes:

Ethan, I would suggest that - in addition to the very good reasons above - yer normal wood screw would also probably rust away before too long.

If your GasSafe has done this, he needs a stern talking-to...

KIAB likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need a bigger hard drive, mine nearly full now with all the pictures.

9. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

i serviced a WB boiler recently where the installer had lost the 3 screws for the flue/boiler connection and had put some woodscrews in instead (loose). I had to disconnect the boiler for a day and return the next day with the screws from a fellow engineers own boiler to get the boiler back on. I have since got spares from WB just incase.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. That installer should be reported and banned...

KIAB likes this.
  11. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Agreed - but surely there's a wider issue here? With all the strict safety codes and necessary qualifications surely you can always GUARANTEE a good and safe job with a Gas Safe registered fitter?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not always,always one.:rolleyes:

Some years ago, I had the burner cleaned on a Valliant 824, there is a gasket which must be replaced, & not reused, reported engineer, to his boss, I'll just say he was looking for a new job after the incident.

13. Blimey - that's almost too harsh :)

Why did the guy not fit a new gasket? It doesn't make sense - unless he didn't have one on him and didn't want to prolong the job?

Was it really an issue, tho'? Was the job unsafe because of this?

The guy who fitted wood screws instead of the proper ones should, I think, be stripped off his GS reg - if he was even on it. That was a deliberate and clearly very wrong thing to do.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Vaillant stipulate using a new burner door seal & new self locking nuts each time the burner module is removed,(for example during maintainance). I suppose it due to it being compressed, reusing it, might allow poisonous gasses to escape as it can't compress properly.

15. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Well if he didn't have one on him he should not have started the job, if the spec says it must be replaced, the engineer should ensure it is changed.

16. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Do not use wood screws, never never never.

17. Except in wood.

seen it all before likes this.