Fluorescent conversions

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Unicorn, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Member

I have recently been changing ballasts on fluorescent fittings like they are going out of fashion.
    Most of the fittings are the old type with starters. Is it possible to swap the old ballast for a high frequency one and taking the starter out of the circuit.
    The old type are becoming more difficult to get hold of and it would be simpler just to upgrade the fitting with a new ballast, hopefully to be more efficient and less hassle!

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Yup, Done it loads of times.

Unicorn likes this.
  3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The magnetic ballasts are still widely available, but HF is always better, if you get a decent make (Tridonic for example).

You may need to lengthen cores, so get yourself a roll of the high temp 0.5mm white PVC cable from RS or similar.

Unicorn likes this.
  4. Unicorn

Unicorn Member

Just to let you know guys, converted an old fitting to a new one, simples actually, won't waste my time looking for parts for old ones, when I can convert it to a new one.
    Lectrician, thanks for the tip on the cable, defo needed and now have enough for loads of other jobs.
    Cheers guys