Flux Pot and Brush Holder

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Always annoying when brush gets dirty so made this little holder today.

Pot has been routered out using a trimmer to about 5mm depth. Small length of chrome pipe holds brush when not in use. A hole was drilled with a holesaw the pipe was glued in using hot melt glue gun.

upload_2017-6-7_14-39-21.png

upload_2017-6-7_14-39-29.png

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's a lot of work just to hold the flux in place, you're a person of some detail!

Used to use Everflux, now moved to Laco which has a built in brush in the lid

[​IMG]

Working On It and longboat like this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Lovely construction Jit (although maybe too much time on ur hands) :)

Main issue is those rubbish flux brushes. I made same mistake. Every application of flux is full of loose bristles so causes problems

Maybe I'm wrong ?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This everflux is a little stiffer almost like a wax and melt in fingertips.

May end up using a used toothbrush as need something a bit stiffer than the brush shown.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tried various fluxes, but I like my La-co, & I cut off the brush in the lid & use a foam brush instead.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Far for me to say but I use and old artists brush - I dont know what the technical name of it is but it is round and the bristles are stiffish and its what I use to put the flux on. I suppose the od of the brush head is what 3/8in or something like that.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I tried that flux many moons ago Dr Bodge and was never happy with it - but it is all down to the person doing the job, some really like it and would use nothing else, and others would use another make and stand by that.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

How are you finding that Everflux Jit? Have you blown any joints with it yet?

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Done a few joints today. Finding it a bit better than the laco, just need a little. Will be doing some more next week. Planing on putting on a radiator but it arrived with some markings so will be exchanged next week.

I had another pot of laco and noticed that it has an expiry date on it.

Think my pot got contaminated as used the brush occasionally to go over the joints (bad habit).

KIAB likes this.
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice on Jit - I saw your pictures of the pipe blown with Everflux. Are you still using the yellow Mapp?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never had a problem using yellow mapp.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Using the mapp torch. Just not an aggressive flame.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

This is where it all becomes interesting Mr K. I could never get on with yellow Mapp when blowing 15/22mm and use red, however above those sizes I use the yellow. Interesting.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is the mapp red or yellow Jit? - those joints I can see it looks like yellow has been used.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its a yellow can.I think it overheated a little.

I'm going to try the red can as have one.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yes you are going in a tad to hot Jit by the looks of things - however the solder has run ok by the looks of things..nothing detrimental m8..all good.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15mm or 22mm alway been yellow mapp, just a few minutes of heat is enough for solder to flow, no aggressive flame & using Fernox Powerflow flux.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice one Mr K - all good m8

KIAB likes this.
  20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Finding the brush isn't very good, need something a lot stiffer.

Its probably better to use something else but dont know what??