Foam in Tigerloop - split in oil pickup in tank / should it float ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andy Smith, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith New Member

I've been having issues with bubbles / foam and low level of oil in my tigerloop, and boiler cutting out.

After a bit of faffing, and ruling out boiler issues or oil lift pump issues (I hope), I've come to the conclusion that the air might be getting into the oil pickup pipe inside the tank. It's a top entry tank, with a flexible pipe inside that just droops down to the bottom of the tank, with a metal fitting on the end. This metal fitting has a chain link ring type thing on it, which suggests that there should be a float attached to it. There isn't.

I've had as good a look around inside the tank as I can, and can't see any float anywhere.

Two questions:

1) Should there indeed be a float, so the oil is picked up from near the top surface, rather than the bottom ?

2) If so, can I replace the float ?

3) Can I replace the flexible pipe inside the tank, in case there is a split which is letting in air.

I realise that's three questions, but there you go...

thanks in advance
    Andy

2. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Some feed pipe do have a float on it that should still leave the open end in oil, so that you take off the top of the oil. Some just sit on the bottom. You should be able to replace the internals, but before you do, takeout the whole inner assembly and check the joints and visually inspect the tube. Check the joint into the shut off valve, and also the joint out of the valve. Then make sure that the valve is open. Sounds silly, but you would be amazed at how many I've been to where the valve is closed. It is only a small eccentric lever.

3. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith New Member

Excellent, thanks for that. All flowing fine again now I've cleaned the pickup out, but if it blocks again, I'll be investing in one of these.