'Fog horn' noise when flushing the toilet

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dave the power tool, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dave the power tool

dave the power tool New Member

Hi,
    I live in a small block of flats and recently the main toilet has started making a REALLY load 'fog horn' noise when flushing (the toilet in the en suit doesnt do it)

Ive also noticed I can hear the same thing happening in the flat below. Is that just a coincidence thats happening the same time as me or is it a fault with a water tank in the loft or something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Thats not my name

Thats not my name New Member

Does it sound anything like this?

[Edited by: admin]

3. lamps

lamps New Member

4. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Is the water off the cold mains? Tank in loft? What?

5. really old boy

really old boy New Member

Dave,

What did you eat recently?

6. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

7. really old boy

Where you dinning with the people from the flat downstairs?

8. really old boy

How did you answer that so quitely

9. really old boy

10. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

11. HeatingSupport

HeatingSupport New Member

its just your Float Operated Valve (ball valve) washer. its gotten too hard.

as the mains water gets colder (this time of year)it hardens up the washers and as they cant flex properly they vibrate with the water pressure against it.

you can get the washer changed or some plumbers prefer to replace the whole FOV depends who you get.

should be looking at minimum call out approx £35 plus the washer, if its a torbeck they're about £5 or £6!

or give it a go your self, then get a plumber out when you cant stop the drip lol!

12. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

its probably a part 2or part 3 float valve, these have a diaphragm washer in them , get to your local merchants or b and q whatever and get one, easy to fit , 5 min job, dont forget to turn off the water first though !! there may be a isolating valve under the cistern on the supply pipe