Footing depth

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alwaysworking, Jan 11, 2007.

1. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

Hi Guys,
    quick question, building a porch and was wondering whether a depth of 1 mtr is enough and if 3 foot deep of concrete and 2 foot wide is too much...any suggestions.

Cheers
    AW

2. building control

building control New Member

are you planning on filling the trench?

it will certainly be strong enough, 150mm depth will be enough.

3. alwaysworking

alwaysworking New Member

Hi BC,
    Not sure what you mean by filling the trench?

My plan was to dig down 1 mtr, fill with concrete 3 ft deep and brick up from that...Are you say that 150mm of concrete is enough.

Thanks
    Will

4. Biffo

Biffo Member

BC is taking the **** !!!!

150mm Footing ??? ***

keep the width to about 300 mm .it.ll never move

5. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

150 mm concrete is more than enough how high is your porch two storeys ??????

6. multi trade

multi trade New Member

Built a two storey detached house 3000 sq ft, engineer calculated the footings ( after test digging the site ) 150 mm concrete, no steel . Building control came out after pouring, foundations depend on soil types and weather soil is virgin .

7. fooman

fooman New Member

trying to find any virgin these days is hard :^O

8. Biffo

Biffo Member

your telling this guy to dig down 6 inch 150mm , then pour conc to level then build on it ???????????????????????

What fucik#mg planet you on ????

9. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I think there may be a misunderstanding here. There are two depths being referred to. One is the depth of the trench, the other is the depth of concrete.

10. building control

building control New Member

er yes, he said dig a 1m deep trench and put 3 ft (900mm) concrete in it, I meant its a waste to trench fill and to use 150mm concrete, in a 2 ft wide trench at least 1m deep.

11. Biffo

Biffo Member

ok bc ,I see what you mean now
    I do many conservatories and porches , I get a team in to do the building work . Ive always dug out 1000mm and mass filled to 3/4 courses below damp ,then start brickwork
    ,are you saying I only need to pour 150mm then start the brickwork
    I cannot see the advantage in this ,Time,cost to bring brick upto damp

confussed !!!!

12. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

You only need 150mm of concrete but it many cases it's cheaper and easier to fill the trench. In this area, where you hit solid limestone as shallow as 6 inches deep, it isn't always possible to dig nice clean trenches as in clay for trenchfill, so I use a strip foundation then build up in blocks.