Footings for single storey extension

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kitchenwhizz, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Kitchenwhizz

Kitchenwhizz New Member

My builder had just started to dig out footings for a 6m x 4m single storey extension.  He dug down to approx 1100mm when the hole started to fill with water.  Building Inspector came out to inspect and said that ground was fine to build on but that he would have to sort out the water issue.  They seem to think it is a natural watercourse that runs the length of the road.  They are suggesting a raft or piling.  Piling is going to add a significant amount to the build a I dont want to go to this extreme as the ground to build on is clay.  Im getting conflicting information from builder, building Inspector and now a structural engineer.  Another builder suggested putting a pipe across the width of the extension surrounded by a protective chamber to allow the water to still flow and then carry on extension as normal, so now Im confused !!  Please help!!  Many thanks

2. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

<h2> "They" being who? the builder? If the building inspector says the clay is strong enough to support the structure even though there is high ground water levels then all that needs to be done is to deal with the ground water until the foundations have been cast and set (concrete can actually be laid underwater and allowed to set as it is done so in concrete piles). The water can be dealt with by pumping away (depends on the inflow and somewhere to pump it) or diverted away or around your excavation (as flagged up by the 2nd builder). I'm suprised your structural engineer has not been more forthcoming with any of the above proposals.</h2>

3. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Whoops don't know how I ended up with bold type

4. Kitchenwhizz

Kitchenwhizz New Member

Thankyou so much for replying.  That really helps.  I have instructed a different structural engineer, not related to the contractor, who said the same.
    He is drawing up new base proposals that, hopefully, the building inspector will pass.  Many thanks