Ford Transit - suspension, bearing life.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Strange Q - what sort of mileage would you expect a LWB 2008 year (Mk 7?) to do before things like wheel bearings and suspensions units reach the ends of their lives?

Do any of you trades peeps have experience of this?

Ta :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

how long is a piece of string!

Easily should do 100k miles sealed bearings I would say, most likely a lot more.
    Bearing are sealed for life, but if water gets in, then they rust,sieze & fail sooner.
    Shock units lifespan, depends on loads carried,overloaded, roads driven on,etc,etc, probably getting tired at 50k -70k if van had a hard life I reckon, but I've seen orginal struts at 100k plus.
    The bushes top & bottom which the strut fits in usually wear first.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Those transit wheel bearings are well known for early failure. And can be real pain to replace. Ive known complete hub to be destroyed removing an old bearing, and have to be replaced. At first sign of wheel bearing issue on these, get them investigated. Much cheaper and quicker to sort a bearing than a destroyed hub.

Suspension units, as in shocks and springs reaply depend on weights carried, mileage, road types used etc. Not unheard of to replace from 60k onwards, but also known to do 100k plus.

Depends on the length of string as said before

4. Fab, gents - thank you.

That's the sort of info I was after. In general you'd hope it would last until the best part of 100k, but realistically you shouldn't be surprised if such parts began to fail from - ooh - 70k onwards.

(Our Sea Cadet minibus is now at over 70k and the steering needed attention last year - a hefty bill and it's still noisy on full lock. We are anticipating more regular and costly repairs now (suspension units, wheel bearings etc) so are hoping to find grants that'll help cover a replacement.)

Cheers.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Transit wouldn't be my first choice for a van.

Funding from the Lottery.

6. We didn't have much choice...

Mind you, it's been ok, and is pleasant enough to drive.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Noisy on full lock usually CV joints DA...

8. It's noisy when not moving - a graunching on full lock before you even move off. I know the CV noise - click click click - but I think that the van is rear wheel drive (but could be wrong).

9. Could well be suspensiion top mounts/bearings

Not sure of the set up on these, if you pm the reg number if you want i can dig some info up

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Could be power steering pump...

11. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Well, what do you expect from a van that's been thrown together by imbeciles in the, UK? Probably ruddy 'brexit' supporters, anorrll.

The newer models are far superior, as they're assembled by well educated foreigners, Turkey, rings a bell!
    :p :D

12. Paul the trainee

Paul the trainee New Member

Could be a number of thing as suggested power steering pump mine van creaks when on full lock been checked out nothing up bottom plulley came off when I was driving it wasn't a pretty site I can tell u. Seen vans that age 300000 miles never missing a beat then u get other s 93000 ***ked

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  13. Yep - was thinking that.

14. Oh-noooo! Ours is British made? :(

longboat likes this.
  15. Paul the trainee

Paul the trainee New Member

brit ones should be better but ford paid off loads of workers in The ford plant down south in 2007 last few thousand probs a miss match of other fords I have a st ford had new turbo at 42000 which is real bad still only got 48000 on the clock

16. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Yes, there's no doubt about it, Brexit causes wheel bearing failure in Transit vans.

Joe95 likes this.