Fortic Tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by farmerbrown, Apr 14, 2005.

1. farmerbrown

farmerbrown New Member

I need to replace the immersion heater on my fortic tank but cannot find a draining point. Please advise me.

2. bluetack

bluetack New Member

Fortic tanks are unusual. The Domestic Hot Water DHW and the central heating water share the same tank and are only prevented from merging by an air bubble in the tank. This is why you should not use an Inhibitor in the central heating water with this system.

So to drain! Turn off the cold feed to the tank, yours may have a combined tank and header and this would be the mains in. Then drain off the central heating at a radiator drain point. You only have to drain down to the level of the immersion.

Before you start loosen the immersion heater as the tank will be much more solid when filled with water.

Fill by turning back on the mains in and bleeding all the rads. Sometimes you have to do this more than once because the air bubble does not reform properly. Also you may need to bleed the DHW for some time to get rid of air.

3. bentbolt

bentbolt New Member

Hi
    Is your fortic a primatic one ? if you have central heating and it has it's own f&e tank it isn't. So tie up ball valve or turn off mains water, run hot tap untill it stops, disconnect the pipe leaving the top of the hot section of cylinder it probably has a valve on it,expect a little water to come out but a towel is enough for this and insert your syphon pipe in here suitably weighted and start sucking. I usually try to loosen the immersion before I fully drain down as the cylinder is more stable but have the hose ready just incase.
    Pete

4. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

blue tack
    you are talking primatic, farmer has a fortic,
    listen to me farmer, turn off the cold supply to your fortic, open the hot taps till they stop running, then undo the hot water draw off pipe and insert a lenghth of speedfit pipe onto the tank ( the speedfit will find the bottom of the tank, a hose might not ) then syhon the tank.

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

sorry bendbolt
    did not mean to better you, you must have posted slightly ahead.

6. or a hose with a meter of 15mm copper will syphon as well, if no speedfit around!

There should've been a drain off fitted at low point, but guess that corner was cut!

7. bluetack

bluetack New Member

O.K. so I'm not right everyday. How else do I learn. Thanks for the information.

8. plummit

plummit New Member

Hi never have come across a fortic(tank) cylinder, still learning, would someone please be so good as to let me know how they work and differ. Many thanks.

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

The top part basically takes the place of the cold water storage cistern in the loft.

11. plummit

plummit New Member

Many thanks B Style.,
    I have come across these in the past, but didnt know what they were called, I used to call them combi header and cylinders. To be honest, I thought they were some what out dated, and thought that these cylinders were now up graded to preferably, unvented systems, or at least, a system where the header tank created a better "pressure". IF YOU AINT LISTENING YOU AINT LEARNING, once again many thanks B. STYLE

12. farmerbrown

farmerbrown New Member

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. I think I know how to get the job done now, thank you again