foundation on rocky terrain

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Horsmonden, Nov 25, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

As the OP said he is completely new to building and as JOT above agrees he needs proper advice not someone trying to get around the rule and regulations. This forum isn't for that purpose. Garages on farm land require planning and building regs. Livestock buildings and plant rooms don't

KIAB likes this.
  2. Horsmonden

Horsmonden New Member

Thanks a lot for the comments.
    Yes, the building (which it is already standing but incomplete) will house a tractor and equipment and have shelves to dry nuts and others. The ground next to it is very stable and flat (And it has not ever moved) and the existing walls have their own foundations (When they were filled to the top with rouble they were holding the ground from going over, so they can be deemed strong enough). The flat roof over it is intended to be used as a walk on terrace as it will be levelled with the terrain. The space in front of the garages is planed to have a water deposit to collect water from roofs.
    I take your comments about planning. I just wanted to know if to place a foundation digging further on the rock is a must. It doesn't seem easy without going into the rock with an hydraulic rock breaker. I can lift the floor from the rock up but it looks very costly and difficult to dig a trench on the rock bed.
    As for planning I have already asked and I can finish the building. It rests to see what is the best value for money way. Thanks again.

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Wrong again. Agri buildings on units of less than 5ha need planning permission, on units above 5ha it is permitted development but the lpa still needs to approve certain elements....

As the op says it is agricultural so a waste of time getting building control on it, unless it needs part L.
    Structural engineer input needed but not building control...