Frame fixers - what does the size represent?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, Oct 5, 2015.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I need to fix a length of old fashioned 4 by 2 to a masonry wall in order to hang a side gate. I've been told that frame fixers (like giant plastic rawlplugs) would work well but when I look them up I'm not sure what the size given refers to and what size I would need.

Does the length given refer just to the plastic plug bit? If so would I need to add 50mm to this length (the thickness of the wood) in addition to having a decent amount actually in the wall (e.g. another 50mm).

So I guess my question is "Would 100mm frame fixers with a no 8 screws be OK?"

Thanks for any comments/advice/experience etc.

diymosththings

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Generally, frame fixers stay in the piece you are fixing. So 50mm in your wood, 50mm in the wall.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep. Never really like 'frame fixers'. Don't 'bite' like these :)

6. diymostthings

Thanks one and all - those metal screws look great but the problem is I only need 4 fixings, not 100. Thanks to Mr. Handyandy for answering my specific question!

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Thunder bolts every time.

dd65411a-5fea-4454-8a5b-9eaa00a8a46d_350x350.jpg

chippie244 likes this.
  8. diymostthings

OK Phil noted thank you-but two problems for me.
    1. I only need 4 fixings (would have to buy 100 of these).
    2. You need to bore a clearance hole in the wood to accept a socket spanner to tighten it - then it has to be filled etc.

kind regards

diymostthings

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The bolt I listed can be bought individually, yes you would have to counter sink the head but as for filling it afterwards, I never have, when the gates closed you can't see them anyway and even if you can its not unsightly.

10. diymostthings

Thanks again - well I just thought of a good reason for using your bolts - I'm quite close to the edge of the masonry so the smaller the hole I have to drill the betterand I think the bolts may have less of a sideways force than frame fixers. I'll look out for a source of small quantities.

kind regards

diymostthings

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

12. diymostthings

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Worth using as the frame fixers won't pull your gate post to the wall like the ones Phil or myself suggested. Guarantee FF will work loose over time.

14. diymostthings

OK - I've bought them! (0.44p each for M6 x 100 Thunderbolts). Bloke in the shop recommended them too - he said they havn't sold FF for at least 3 years! Eaasy to choose the drill size too - 6mm!

That postcrete is dear though isn't it? Still - worth avoiding all the dealys with normal cement.

Thanks CGN and everyone else

Kind regards

diymostthings

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A bag or two of 14mm all in ballast & a bag of cement far better than postcrete.