Framing Nailer

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Studentrooms, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

Interested to know what people think of Bostitch pneumatic framing nailers and 90mm 28degree Welded Wire Nails V's our old fav the IM350 Paslode.... any opinions ?
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pneumatic nailers whatever type, all the way, far less to go wrong with then with Paslode, & a darn cheaper to run, no fuel cells to buy, batteries to charge.
    Do like the coil nailers, use one last year to drive in some 90mm Ring Nails.

Some say the air hose is a inconvenice,it never bother me, but buy a hose that's a bright colour, broke my nose tripping over my black hose some years ago.:oops:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

Many Thanks.

am surprised nobody else has a view, either positive or negative.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I've a paslode framing nailer. The site I'm on at the moment the guys are using two coil air nailers.
    They make the paslode look like a piece of junk.

You just hold the trigger on and its machine gun time as fast as you can move. Up on the roof I just use an estwing.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

About 30 timber trusses on this job spanning 40 feet. About 600 50mm nails in each truss. About 200 of them added on site.

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Six of us today on this job. Another 2 joiners arriving tomorrow to wipe out the truss and purloin installation.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You put that installation back, naughty Ry.:p:p

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I was called in specifically to boost the operation as the finishing date is fast approaching. With my addition I bring a lot of equipment and tools to the job. Plus my skills.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And no problems with cold weather. I get fed up having to take the gas out and stick it my pocket to warm up - at least the Paslode ones in your pocket make you look impressive.

The only advantage I have found with the gas ones is when you are on a ladder or somewhere awkward. On scaffold it isn't so bad as you can have smaller more portable compressors these days.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just use a longer air hose.[​IMG]

Funny thing we haven't seen VMAC (Vehicle Mounted Air Compressors) fitted to vans emerge/develope here, other side of the pond, most trademan's trucks, vans have built in compressor for air tools, some even have onboard generators.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    vivaro man likes this.
  11. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

The nails look to be the same cost as paslode or Firmahold for paslode...basically...

no cold weather problems with gas

maybe better reliability due to simplicity

only the obvious hose issue and the hassle with carting a compressor around which we're not used to in uk and don't really use for much else.

so paslode still a winner for small jobs but maybe pneumatic not such a bad idea for big jobs.

The guns seem to come cheaper too.

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Always dewalt cordless nailers to consider too?!

KIAB likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have an 18v trim nailer, mine is very slow to repeat fire

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just throwing out an alternative :)
    Speed not always an issue...wouldn't matter for me anyway!

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

For the cost of a Plaslode nailer, I could buy two air nailers.[​IMG]

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

And a bag of chips on way home :)

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a pickle egg.[​IMG]

CGN likes this.
  18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem, I works well just frustratingly slow, its only a second or so but feels like a lifetime

19. Studentrooms

Studentrooms Member

Which feels like a lifetime ? The pneumatic on a hose from the compressor ?

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

the Dewalt 18v nailgun