franchise or not to franchise

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by badgerbait, Sep 18, 2006.

1. badgerbait

badgerbait New Member

I have been looking at several plumbing franchises, plumbfast, reactfast and plumblocal. Does anyone have any thoughts on these companies ? know any horror stories ? or actually have one ?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

2. oooops

oooops Active Member

yes just one thought. the 27 grand franchise would worry te hell out of me.

3. Its a lot of money to earn in the first year, before you earn any money yourself. plus there is an ongoing fee per job...

Its only really good, if you can run a second van.

4. badgerbait

badgerbait New Member

Yep, the initial outlay is frightening. The amount of work they can provide as opposed to marketing yourself is the attraction. The figures quoted by the companies seem substantial ( although I am not naive enough to fully believe everything a salesman tells me ), this is why I have posted a message, to try and get some real feedback from anyone who actually has a franchise or has looked into it.

Cheers.

5. oooops

oooops Active Member

it would be interesting to hear of any franchisees. not sure if there are any forum members.

6. mj

mj Guest

Don't waste your money, if your a half decent plumber you'll be better off without them.
    You only ever hear horror stories of ripped off customers, unsatisfactory work & disenchanted franchisees when they realise their life savings have gone down the pan.
    Whatever plumb fast/local etc promise in the sales patter it won't happen. The one with 'fast' has a training centre near me & has a reputation of taking your money & not giving a ****, oversubscribed courses, pressure while your on the course to buy a postcode franchise. The ones working the local p/codes spend much time with the vans on their own driveways!
    It's not just the 20-30k + 20k for a 12k van in their livery, they'll still want their monthly fees even when you ain't working.

7. It would help us to help you if you could give FULL details of your experience and current jobs/earnings.

Franchises can be good for SOME people!

I like to ask franchisees what they think about their experiences and I have met several who are very pleased with their results!

Tony

8. 602 Trooper

602 Trooper New Member

I set up on my own in May of this year. I looked at franchises and decided that although you get the "full package" off the shelf, the numbers didn't add up. Massive initial outlay etc. As a previous respondent said you still have to pay the bills when you aren't earning. I noticed that on one of the Franchise sites (mentioned many times on this forum) my local postcode was taken up already by a Franchisee. His name and rates (£45 per hour day rate, about 50% higher for out of hours) appeared alongside his smiling face on their website. I have seen his van a couple of times at B&Q plus we have had a very flash flyer through our door. I noticed several months ago that the "rates" had vanished from the website (along with the rates listed for other franchisees). Too expensive? Scaring people off?
    I checked tonight and the website says that my local postcode is now up for grabs! It would appear that after only a few months in business he has gone. Poor sod. If you have to charge those sort of rates to get your money back and then price yourself our of the market and eventually go bust then it isn't worth it. If you have £25,000 available then spend half of that on tools, training and an older van and keep the rest in the bank for the inevitable rainy day as you build your own business.

9. Contact him quick to see if you can buy his van at a seriously discounted price! Find out what went wrong! Sometimes its a matter of too little skills to do many of the jobs.

I met a plumb local guy who was quite pleased with it but he seemed very competent and had a drain jetter. He said he usually got a job or two every day and some days was at it all day. Other days could be quiet so he advertised himself locally but most of his own jobs came from people seeing his van around.

If he was quiet he found that just parking outside the shops would often get a job!

Tony