Free standing washing machine under work surface.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Brian_L, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

I'm trying to weigh up the best solution so that the machines do not protrude past the front edge of the worktop. Last time I fitted a kitchen I put the plumbing in the under sink cupboard and the plug socket was behind the cabinet on the other side so the machine could be pushed right up to the wall and fitted flush with the front edge of a 600mm worktop.

I'm considering using a wider worktop this time so that it gives a little room behind the machines for pipes, is there any problems associated with this approach ?

2. None at all that you haven't - I am sure - already considered.

Ie - worktop front overlapping the units excessively. Or having to fit the base units further oot to compensate.

If you have access to deeper worktops, then the simple solution for a new kitchen is to install them away from the wall a wee bit, using timber rails to secure them of whatever extra depth you need.

I went the whole hog - one part of my kitchen is 700mm deep and the free-standing W/M sits behind a couple of doors completely hidden away.

Two things I hate: (1) visible appliances, and (2) integrated appliances.

So I buy free-standing, but hide them...

Brian_L likes this.
  3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

DV. Whats wrong in your opinion with Integrated appliances?
    Personaly I find them, well, Integrated. LOL

4. Had to replace the faulty one for my out-laws.

'Nuff said.

(A complete pita to get right. There - more than enough said... :( )

seen it all before likes this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Misaligned doors and overpriced spring to mind :rolleyes:

Brian_L likes this.
  6. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Howden worktops are 616mm. Hope this helps

7. An upstand along the back would give you a goodly 20mm more too.

(Lawd - that takes me back 30 years when I used to sell kitchens in my bro's shop. One of the trends that came along - and has seemingly since gorn - was Rehau upstand. Available in bronze, silver, wood grain - pin the base strip along the w'top back tight against the wall, and snap the décor strip into place. It had flexible sealing 'blades' top and bottom. Ah - the memories...)