Free (yeah you heard right FREE) software for electrical Certificate

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kermitklein79, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kermitklein79

kermitklein79 New Member

Hello peeps!!

Just wanted a rough idea of how many people would be interested in this...
    Now many of you may have used software to do your own certs and print them out .. things like easycert by TYsoft. I am trying to make an open version (ie free) but by no means as comprehensive as professional software packages. This will allow you to create your certs and save them as pdf's on your computer..
    Of course.. there is an option of a small donation :) !! but an option only.. How many of you guys would be interested?

2. sparky20031

sparky20031 New Member

if it saves me handwriting Dpn4's after dpn4 by hand to print on nic certs for the company i work for i'd pay good money

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I already have a software package and a bloody good one at that, with a one off fee and no expensive yearly updates like Amtech

Experience has given me the nod that nothing in this life is 'Free' and after all, the end of your post is commenting on donations. . .

Theres more than enough very good software packages out there.

Si

4. steve CF

steve CF New Member

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

OP

No ones interested.

Leave it at that

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Have U got the software in your link Steve?

7. Maurice Gogg

Maurice Gogg New Member

What's a software?

8. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

if your part of eca its there is good package on their site, free for use by members.

9. fabregas

fabregas New Member

I've got my £12.50 disc off EBAY red green and purple certs

Today Matthew I'm going to be?

All joking aside does everything I need.

10. spark&half

spark&half Active Member

Remember if anyone wants this free test cert software I posted a link a few months ago on this forum 250 downloads so far so it must be good;)

11. ZeZs

ZeZs New Member

Ive been using the STROMA E CERT software....its poor, takes too long, poor layout. 40 p a cert as well, all ads up!!!!

12. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

in all honesty, I just use the online NICEIC cert service now, easy as pie and not that much tbh, I send a copy to the customer and notify if needed at the same time. Then move onto the next one, easy to recall them in PDF format. IIRC its only £1.50 per cert or £3.00 if you notify.

13. ZeZs

ZeZs New Member

Yeah, i have heard that niceic offer a good software package.

14. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I will hold up my hands and admit for years I filled in the forms without really thinking about if the figures I was entering actually complied with the regulations.

However today the forms are retained far more and it is too easy to fill out a form with details which actually show the installation has never complied with some of the requirements. As a result I use java script forms which auto alert me if the readings are outside of the permitted range. Before that I used Excel but java script is free on my PDA and Excel costs.

Oddly I don't really need it now, one I only do the odd job and two I have a good idea what will pass and what will fail. Doing EICR is actually more of a problem than installation as one is careful with installation not to get near the limits but with an EICR often the installation is close to the limits and one is left with. 1) Reporting an installation fault which on closer inspection is just within the limits. 2) Not reporting an installation which is just outside the limits which is highlighted on next report.

After writing the java script I started to look at the accuracy of the readings and results. Typical ring final with TN-C-S Ze 0.35 and Zs 0.94 just passes the volt drop with installation method 100 but just fails with installation method C however anyone using a loop impedance meter will get varying results when re-testing so although meter says 0.94 it could be 0.92 or 0.98 and added to that is the temperature correction and grouping factors.

So in real terms we are actually looking for red amber green rather than red and green as clearly we don't want to bother with boarder line cases.

So although I have written my own software in real terms if going back into the game full time I want accredited software with some big name like Martindale or IET so I can be sure there are no faults. When I wrote my version I asked others to test it and there were faults. I corrected those but clearly there could be others. The printing of the form is the easy bit it's the error checking part which becomes complex.

With free software there is no contract so if you make an error then no real come back. When you buy software then there is a contract that "consideration" bit is now completed so if the writer makes an error then the user can claim against the writers professional indemnity insurance.