Freesat box extension cable not working - please advise

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by ladymunger, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ladymunger

ladymunger New Member

Hi there, finally managed to get someone to tell me that my normal house aerial wasn't working and that to get it fixed would cost approx. £100 as would need new mast etc. However they said I could just run it through the sky dish with the use of a freesat box. Perfect. Bought one and got it set up and all working good (although pic isn't 100%, it'll do, unless someone has some advice on that :) ).

However, when I moved the front room about and needed a longer cable to fix to the sky cables coming in from the wall it didn't work. It showed as 0% signal. Gutted, does this mean I'll have to use the tv always in the same corner? It was just a standard extension.

Please help as don't want to have to keep room in same place :(

Thanks in advance,

Vickie
    X
  2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could be duff cable(unusual). Did you have to alter any plugs? if so, double double check your wiring.
    I must say though(and especially with moulded plugs) I have had duff aerial extension cables before.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Active Member

Do you still have the Sky box and contract, as when you say the picture isn't 100%, it was probably like that with the Sky box anyway
    Usually means your dish needs adjusting as for a good picture, it needs to be focused with pin point accuracy

Did you make up the extension cables yourself or use pre made ones, as Andy has mentioned above
    Check the F-Plugs on the end of the Sky cable, tight connection and no stray earth sleeve wires touching the centre solid core
  4. FatHands

FatHands Member

Hi Vivkie,
    From memory the Sky box will have a signal strength meter (try looking through the set-up/diagnostics menu). See what the reading is at the original location. If OK, then there must be a problem with the cable or connectors that runs from there to the new location.
  5. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Member

Smells suspiciously like a LNB short to me...

As DIYDave says "Check the F-Plugs on the end of the Sky cable, tight connection and no stray earth sleeve wires touching the centre solid core".

Also check the length of the centre solid core extending from the plug... Leave 'em too long they'll kink and cause a short. 5mm protruding from a connector is ample.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013