Fresh peeling paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Aimes6, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

Good evening all
    1. I tried to painting bathroom wall today with a roller but as I hit areas I'd already painted it was peeling off. The bathroom was half painted previously and half bare plaster where tiles had been. Due to this I put two coats of thin white matt emulsion to act as an undercoat/primer. I'm using Dulux bathroom paint with a pile roller. The paint is quite thick, I wondered if I should water it down a touch or different roller? Any ideas, tips? Thank you

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Obviously you forgot to add sun factor to the paint!!!!

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It is known as a mist coat. I normally thin it out 50/50 paint/water when putting directly on plaster.
    Plaster obsorbs water quickly as it is a very pourus surface, which causes paint to dry out too quickly, and crack or peel.
    I personally prefer brushes, but a roller with short/thin pile is better suited.

4. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

I thought the two coats of emulsion as primer would have been OK? it's lifted mainly on the areas that were not bare plaster..

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Could be wall was greasy? Did you clean it down? Not something do but sometimes you will see if it needs de greasing. No damp there?

Joe95 likes this.
  6. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

Not damp no..Didn't clean it down though as just thought putting primer coats down would be OK..

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I recently painted a wall but it was freshly plastered. I thinned down the matt emulsion. It was very watery going on! I gave it 2 coats like that and then couple of top coats. But you are saying it is not the freshly plastered section that is peeling?

8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Possibly paint not adhering to the wall properly. As kools said, it is possible the wall could have been greasy. Also possibly wall was not completely dry as bathroom environment etc.

koolpc likes this.
  9. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

So if greasy what would be best remedy? Buy proper sealant?

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

tore81 likes this.
  11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Was it going over previous paint? Not going over a tile backer, such as hardibacker?

Where is DA when you need him
    Kools?:D We could do with him here.

12. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Only in that area?

14. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

W
    Whole bathroom has two coats of emulsion on it, Ive only painted (attempted to paint) one wall with main paint

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

And only one section of that wall is reacting badly?

Could be the paint you are using! Bad batch?

16. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

Oo maybe... Didn't think about that

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If I'm reading this correctly it appears you have an adhesion problem between the two types of paint, was first coat fully dry before applying the bathroom paint?

18. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

Hi, yes it was, been a few days. I think it's mainly on the areas that previously had paint on even though I've put two coats of emulsion on. I'm going to sand the messy bit but I'm wondering what to put on the walks to help it stay put..

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Shouldn't have to put anything on. Wash it down with sugar soap. I don't like that fancy paint to be honest.

Joe95 likes this.
  20. Aimes6

Aimes6 New Member

Sugar soap over the primer I've put on?