Fridge Door Handle

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Gummo, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I've just been trying to fit a new handle on my fridge. One of the screws won't tighten - obviously a fault on the door side.

What can I do?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Do you mean the thread is stripped or the captive nut on the inside is loose and rotating?

Gummo likes this.
  3. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

There's no nut - the screw enters a presumably threaded hole.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

So is the thread stripped or is the threaded hole rotating? Often it is a nut/flange welded to the back of the very thin door panel, or a spire nut (a sort of clip) slid onto a lip of metal.

Gummo likes this.
  5. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

All I can say is that there seems to be a white plasticky presence behind the thin metal of the door. I hope you can see something from the pics - the double holes are okay - it's the single one - the perimeter is raised out - maybe I over-tightened.

Attached Files:

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Maybe the screws are different lengths perhaps the screw in the single hole has "bottomed out" by hitting the end and caused the damage. Hard to think of a solution where you have flimsy plastic threads, at least two are holding, any chance of finding a screw about the same size with a coarser thread that might bite in the plastic?

Gummo likes this.
  7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Another thought a cut down wood screw might bite into the plastic quite well.

Gummo likes this.
  8. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I've been keeping that as plan B.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

:) Please do tell how it goes, even if you have to go to plan Z;)

Gummo likes this.
  10. Gummo, that picture of the single screwhole seems to show it has been turned inside-out? Ie - the sides of the hole have been pulled so's they are now above the surface - if you run your finger along it, you'll feel it as a raised bump instead of a hollow?

If which case it looks as tho' the screw has been over-tightened at some point, or has bottomed out as suggested above, or the handle has just been pulled on very firmly!

So, if it's a simple case of the hole being pulled 'out', then get a screw/nail or whatever with a head that's just larger than that hole, hold it against the hole (overlapping it) and tap it gently inwards a wee bit - just below surface level.

That might be enough for the proper screw to grip again, but if it isn't then just make up a drop of epoxy adhesive ('Araldite') and smear some on the screw thread before inserting. Do it up until it sits nicely tight but before it 'strips' again. Leave to set.

Or, look for a slightly thicker screw. Cut a longer one down size if needed. (Most screws are very hard, but you can 'nick' them with decent side cutters, and they'll then snap cleanly if bent.)

Gummo likes this.
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

A bit more work but you may be able to take the door apart to access the inside of the door panel
    Turn fridge off, remove door (usually straight forward as most are reversable) and remove door seal. Inner plastic door panel may be held with a few screws or clips and remove this
    Door will have some form of insulating material inside, possible polystyrene so remove this
    Threads on fixing holes have probably been stripped so you could use a nut and bolt to secure handle. Use a shake proof washer or Loctite on the thread as you don't want it coming loose in the future
    Good luck

Gummo likes this.
  12. Good point - lots of modern fridges are very easy to dismantle like that. Check the rubber seal around the door perimeter - see if it's just a case of pulling the seal away to free the door inner panel. Might not even have to remove the actual door from the fridge.

But don't damage the seal.

Gummo likes this.
  13. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Thanks, comrades - I'm armed with your generous ideas - I'll let you know the outcome.

14. Er, what's in the fridge by the way? Some home-made carrot cake, perhaps? Lemon tart?

And, where do you live?

15. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Ireland....

Attached Files:

16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Wot! no beer!!!:eek:

Gummo likes this.
  17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Christmas is over now, so no need for them Brussel Sprouts yer know. :)

Gummo likes this.
  18. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I don't drink - Brussel Sprouts make me happy!

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've got sprouts in my fridge Phil
    We love em and eat them all year round (when available, fresh not frozen)
    And no they don't make me fart - well no more than anything else does !

Gummo likes this.
  20. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I've never noticed that alleged phenomenon either, Dave.