Fridge vents

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by SimplyDIY, Jul 25, 2007.

1. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Hi
    Ive got an integrated fridge i'm re-fitting (due to floods) between two units. On top, in the worktop,(no option) is a halogen hob. There's only about 20mm gap between the top of the fridge and the underside of the worktop/hob. Would you guys advise fitting a vent grille on the worktop behind the hob? Although there's plenty of space for air circulation at plinth level theres nothing to let hot rising air out at the top. It has worked ok like this for 6 months but ive never been totally happy with it.
    Where do you get these grilles? Ive seen brass door grilles in the sheds but nothing that looks specific and i would have thought it needed to be waterproof in case of a spill on the hob.
    Thanks
    SimplyDIY

2. Leedsfan

Leedsfan New Member

There is no stipulation to vent the fridge from the top, an integrated fridge is designed to vent at plinth level.

All that will happen is that the fridge will have to work a bit harder to keep cool. It's never really a good idea to place a fridge below a hob for this reason.

3. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Thanks Leedsfan (is there still a team? Ha Ha) for your reply. If I'd had any chance of putting the hob elsewhere I would have, the only other option was in a corner where you would have had to reach over the sink. As you say it has been working hard for the last 6 months over the hob so i think i'll keep looking for a decent looking vent as theres a lot of heat coming out the top when the hobs on. Amazed though that no one makes such a thing designed for the purpose.
    SimplyDIY

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

6. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Thanks BB,
    The second one (if it steel rather than plastic for a nicer finish) sounds the business although 'recess mounting' may be a bit worrying as its horizontal and could collect spillages.
    I'd done a google and only got the first type, although i have seen long thin brass ones designed for vertically mounting on doors. The only worry i have is that none of these have any restriction on fluids getting through and as its behind a hob i didnt want the scenario of a pan spilling over and the contents draining away onto the top of the fridge! But i'm probably expecting too much as usual or contemplating worst case scenarios!!
    SimplyDIY

7. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I think that you are going to find it impossible to find something that allows out a free flow of warm air, and prevents liquids from going in the opposite direction.

BB

8. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Yeah you're probably right British Blue, I'll just have to tell the missus she's sacked if she spills anything on the hob! Looking at the back of the fridge it doesn't look like any great harm would happen if there was a spill anyway.
    Thanks all,
    SimplyDIY.

9. Leedsfan

Leedsfan New Member

I still don't think you'll need a vent mate. The ellements on Halogen hobs are pretty well insulated against heat going downwards, amagine if they hob was above a set of drawers and there was tea towels in the top drawer?

Before you go hacking holes in the worktop, why not pull the fridge out, turn all the hob elements on, leave for 5 minutes and then feel how hot the bottom of the hob has become.

if you can keep your hand on it then I wouldn't be worrying about a vent. Don't forget there is a lot of insulation in the top of the fridge as well.

10. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Thanks Leedsfan,
    After one of the 4 rings had been on for 15 minutes the underside of the hob was too hot to touch. But it's not so much the heat from the hob i was concerned about, it is the lack of free flow ventilation for the heat rising from the fridge, after all there is only about 4" at the base of the fridge for cool air to enter AND hot to exit. I have temporarily pulled it forward in free air and noticed how much less the motor is running than when its in situ. A vent is a must i think.
    SimplyDIY

11. gazza2

gazza2 New Member

Might be thick here bit doesnt the 50mm gap at the back of the units go behind all units - cannot the vent be placed over another cabinet and a cutout ( drill large hole at the back of the fridge to allow the air to flow / escape ?

12. britishblue

britishblue New Member

gazza2, it depends what kitchen unit he has. The IKEA ones have no space behind for services.

BB

13. Leedsfan

Leedsfan New Member

Sorry, I thought you were worried about heat from the hob?

If all you are worried about is ventilation then I refer you to my first post, integrated fridges are designed to vent at plinth level and require no further venting whatsoever!

Fitting a vent behind the hob will be and total waste of time. But then again, it's your time mate.

14. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Thanks all for your replies.

Leedsfan; Sorry, its a bit of both, heat from the hob but more heat from the fridge as this is working all the time, and probably harder due to the enclosed nature. The hob heat is simply not helping. I hear what you say about integrated fridges not needing additional vents, i will have a look in the manual later and see what it says, which is probably what i should have done to start with (i can hear you all saying!)

Gazza/BB: Its not an Ikea kitchen, its a Gower, and there is service space at the rear so thats an idea to try, but i will still need some sort of vent on the worktop, unless you mean venting it vertically at the end of the units run which i wouldnt have thought would have worked.

Thanks
    SimplyDIY

15. britishblue

britishblue New Member

The reason to vent elsewhere other than behind the hob, is that the worktop at the hob position is already weakened by the cutout for the hob. If you cutout for the vent at the rear of the hob, the worktop may disintegrate at this point.

BB

16. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

That's a very good point BB, that i hadn't thought of, Thanks,
    SimplyDIY.

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

many built in fridges have fan assisted condensors at plinth level so don't need the vent at the top. Then could minimise heat transfer/build up from the hob with some insulation?

Could you not cut a few holes into the adjoining units?

18. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Thanks Jimbo,
    Yes, and i think this is what i'm going to do. The fridge manufacturers say nothing about venting the top, only to "ensure there is plenty of free air movement" quite how the hell you achieve this in an integrated appliance without an input at the base AND outlet at the top is beyond me!
    Thanks all for your replies
    SimplyDIY

19. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

You can't beat a good old fashioned Vortex effect for cooling a fridges condensor