Front Door Lock

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by screw76, Oct 14, 2015.

1. screw76

screw76 New Member

Hi All,
    my front door can only be open using the key when you are inside, my issue is if there is an emergency and the kids misplace the keys then I am in trouble, I have seen some doors where as you go in you push the handle up and the door is locked, pushed down and its open obviously you cant do that from outside, my door is upvc and the current lock is euro cylinder, how do I convert it

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Screwfix sell replacement locks with a thumb turn on the inside so you can lock the door on the inside without a key.

You need to measure the thickness of the door and select the correct depth of lock. When you get it home open the door and look at the edge. There should be a single screw holding the lock in place, undo this and the current lock should be free to move. It may take a little wiggling to get it out

Slide the new one in, replace screw and test before closing door

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  3. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I've come across this before. Is the key an original or one that has been cut from the original? If it isn't cut evenly, the lock won't open from either side. You might be able to open the lock by pulling the key out slightly and then turning the key.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem is that he can lock it inside and out with keys. However, if he goes out and locks the door, the only way to open the door is with a key.

But yes you are correct, doors can be sensitive with after market keys

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or just hang your spare key high on a hook on the door.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sospan gave good advice...thumbturn on inside. As mentioned, measure length of euro cylinder but double check where the fixing screw lies. Sometimes bang in the middle, sometimes offset, I.e on a 100mm lock, could br 50/50 split or 40/60 etc. If offset, make sure you note which is which on thumb turn side before buying.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A euro cylinder with a thumb turn is the one to go for. They are available in brass or nickle finish.

I have just ordered a new set for my front, back and garage door. With all the lock keyed alike, so now i just need the one key to open or lock any of these doors. Make sure that it is a good lock and that it is anti bump and drill safe.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One word of warning, with some thumb turn euro cylinders you can lock you self out, the Avocet ABS was one such model.