"Fugenboy" with/without masking tape ?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Trialbywater, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Trialbywater

Trialbywater New Member

Having just got this gadget,is it really possible to use without tape ?. I speak as someone who has used neither profile or tape before and got messy results (with finger).

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I have a kit too, nothing beats your finger I'm affraid, you wasted your money.

3. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

Check out tiletrader. he has got a better version that works great (sorry can't remember the name, but worth every penny), just use a sprayer and have a bucket of water to throw your waste into. It then looks like a professional finish, not like licking your finger and pulling it through the silicone.

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

A wet finger is by far the best and if you do get sticky use Gorilla Wipes to clean your hands.

5. GKU

GKU New Member

Yep , spray bottle wiv a little washing up liquid and yer good old forefinger (wet) , roll of kitchen towel and your away , best way by a mile ;)

6. Trialbywater

Trialbywater New Member

Trying the Fugenboy today , I got results which surprised me - good!, its most useful aspect was the neat removal of excess silicon ( an amateur mistake, I realise) but still needed the finger for a final wipe

7. debit cruncher

Trying the Fugenboy today , I got results which surprised me - good!, its most useful aspect was the neat removal of excess silicon ( an amateur mistake, I realise) but still needed the finger for a final wipe
    <u>_________________________________</u>

This says to me you are not doing it correctly. If you have excess silicon then you have not followed the advise of water or used the tool correctly. If you plan on doing a lot of siliconing in the future get one of these
    www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/info_silicone.html
    the dogs...., great finish. Plus do not listen to anybody who thinks using there finger is a good idea. ;)

8. GKU

GKU New Member

"Plus do not listen to anybody who thinks using there finger is a good idea. ;)"

And that is the opinion of an experienced tiler then is it ????? :^O :^O

9. GKU

GKU New Member

Read the opinions of SOME of the HIGHLY respected gentlemen a little further back up in this thread ;)

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Always the finger mate, unbeatable and the finish is so smooooooth and neat.

11. GKU

GKU New Member

Always the finger mate, unbeatable and the finish is so smooooooth and neat.

Could'nt agree more Cap'n , the best way by far , those "Siliconing" kits are for people who have'nt got the hang of doing it properly by hand , Diy'ers etc , tried a couple myself in the past , they dont give as good a finish as the old finger (as the actress said to the Bishop)

12. debit cruncher

And that is the opinion of an experienced tiler then is it ????? :^O :^O

Been tiling for years, and have qualifications for it as well. What about you and your little wet finger? The only people to replay are you me and the captain (and he gets somebody in to do his tiling) nothing worse than seeing some bodger wet there finger and have silicon all over the hand, looks great for the customer.
    Amateurs :(

13. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I would be interested to see how well a siliconing tool would cope with a three way internal corner, for example, where the corner of a Bath meets an internal vertical wall bead. In my opinion, nothing can beat a finger, mix up a solution of washing up liquid and warm water, then dip your finger into this before 'fingering' the silicone

14. debit cruncher

Works very well, done properly.
    ;)

15. GKU

GKU New Member

Yep , been properly trained as well (all be it some years ago now) - "<u>bathstyle</u>" is probably one of the most experienced and highly respected guys on this forum (along with "tvmakesiteasy") and if you dont want to take notice of me , take notice of him , there are a few knowledgeable guys on here but he is up at the top with the best ;) I was taught to use my finger and always have done - always the best way :)

16. GKU

GKU New Member

And dont knock the Captains knowledge either - beleive me bud , most people are in his shadow (knowledge-wise) ;)

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

My (employed by me ) tiler always uses his finger, but he usually leaves final finishing to me anyway.

Fingers it is for me every time....nowt wrong with a bit of plastic if you like that but I just find I lose them in the tool kit, not lost any fingers...yet ;)

18. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Debit, do you have a link to the tool that you use?

19. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

it's in the post a few comment earlier..

www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/info_silicone.html

20. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

www.tradetiler.com/