Fukushima Update.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ryluer, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Fukushima? You never hear about it on the news.
    Ever wonder why?

More than three and a half years after four nuclear reactors at Fukushima Daiichi on the east coast of Japan were devastated by an earthquake and tsunami, they still leak. Radioactivity is spewing into the air, leaching into the soil and seeping into the sea.

Many scientists and experts with no vested interests with the nuclear industry say that if an atomic bomb large enough wiped out the entire northern hemisphere of planet earth with the initial blast wave, the deadly radiation released after wards would be on a par with the release at Fukushima since the meltdown.

In America now 1 in every 2 men will have cancer. Every 1 in three women.
    Similar story here sadly in the UK.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

BLIMEY!!! You know how to cheer people up.

3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I spelt the title wrong, Can I correct it?:(

Got it.:)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Took 26 years for the restrictions on welsh sheep to be lifted after Cherobyl and we are going to ask the Chinese to build new reactors for us!

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

OOh well, we can all look forward to dying in agony and hoping someone will put a pillow over our faces to end the torture.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I do hope I'm one of the 1 in every 2 men who won't get cancer because of the Japanese nuclear reactors. (at least it will leave more women to go round those of us who survive) ;););)

7. plumber-boy

:)

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'm going shopping tomorrow for some lead lined undies. Gotta protect them crown jewels from all this Japanese radiation in the air. Mind you, the only thing to stop me in my attempts to re-populate the Earth, will be the Child Support Agency,, so the planet's doomed I tell ye, ,,,,, doomed. :p:p:p:p:p

9. plumber-boy

Tom will boss you up some lead pants JJ for a pack of Carling.:)

10. Ryluer, how many people were killed by the Tsunami?

And how many by the radiation poisoning?

Once you've answered that, tell me - why are you so frightened of nuclear power?

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The radiation poisoning is on going and will eventually be millions, we won't be around to worry about it, but it will happen.

12. Phil the Paver

13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Nuclear energy and how safe it is must be the greatest deception of modern times.
    Reactor 3 at the Fukushima plant had MOX fuel. This is both Plutonium and Uranium. The same elements that are used in nuclear bombs designed to release the worst kind of isotopes that kill on a wider scale.

That has been been released 24 hours a day since the meltdown nearly fours ago.
    And the radio active isotopes do not dilute as the IAEA pet scientists would have you believe.

These isotopes build up as more and more as they are released and they multiply worldwide!
    The word "dilute" as used by scientists with vested interests within the nuclear industry does not belong any where near the description of deadly man made isotopes.

When these isotopes enter your body they drill right down into your bodies DNA as they undergo their fission. The cells become damaged and begin to attempt to repair them selves.
    But your damaged DNA no longer has the ability to provide the blueprint for that cells original composition. So the damaged cells grow and grow not knowing when to stop.
    Until they become malignant cancerous tumours.

That's why I'm so frightened of nuclear power.
    This argument from the pro nuclear side about the number of deaths at the meltdown site is nonsense imo. No one was killed when the melt down occurred so it must be safe blah blah blah...

In Japan at the moment spreading ACCURATE, but negative, information about radiation by the media is a criminal act. The rate of thyroid cancers among 250,000 of the area's young people is more that 40 times normal according to health expert Joseph Mangano.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  14. Phil and Ryluer - may you be happy surfing the 'net for your conspiracy theories. There's some beauts about the Kennedy assassination...

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Still lets look on the bright side, chances are we will die of an infection acquired in our local hospital or a failure in care where we were promised "lessons will be learnt" the last time it happened, before the radiation gets us:)

16. Phil the Paver

Its true that conspiracy theorist exist, most of them are on the side of the problems, reason, money, greed, world domination, you name it but it ain't for the good of the common people, never had been, never will be.

17. List1: One-fact-you-may-not-know-about-list25

List25 is a pile of nonsense.

Here's the truth as it's known:

When the Chernobyl nuclear reactor exploded in 1986, experts predicted as many as 40,000 extra cancer deaths from the radiation spewed onto parts of what was then the Soviet Union. Friday is the 27th anniversary of the disaster. How many people has Chernobyl killed so far?

We’ll probably never know. That’s partly because even 40,000 cancer deaths are less than 1 percent of the cancer mortality expected in the affected population. Statistically, the deaths are undetectable. Even if they weren’t, science usually can’t say that a particular cancer was induced by radiation rather than something else.

One exception is thyroid cancer, a very rare disease in children that skyrocketed to nearly 7,000 cases in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine by 2005. There is no doubt that radioactivity from Chernobyl caused them, including about a dozen fatalities. We also know that two people died in the explosion and more than 100 people, mostly firefighters ignorant of the dangers, received doses high enough to cause acute radiation syndrome. Of them, 29 died within a few months, followed by 18 more deaths over the years. The group seems to be at higher risk for blood cancers.

Other than those sad cases, controversy rages about Chernobyl’s death toll. For the vast majority of the most affected populations, the disaster delivered doses equivalent to a handful of CAT scans. At such low levels, radiation’s health effects are considered long-term and stochastic, or essentially random.

So, even the firefighters who virtually cooked themselves in the radiation have mostly survived.

So, tell me - how many people have died in the coal mining industry? Gas industry? Oil industry? Jeepers, I bet more people have fallen off roofs putting up solar panels than have been zonked by radiation.

And don't forget, Chernobyl was a mega-major nuclear disaster - it's hard to imagine a worse scenario than a complete meltdown like that. And even then...

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whatever the pro's and con's of nuclear energy building a reactor in such an earthquake prone zone as Japan was an accident waiting to happen.

19. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Can you imagine a melt down at Dungeness on the Kent coast about 60 miles or so from Central London and a Southerly wind!:confused::confused::confused:

20. Hmmmm - I'm imagining it right now :).