Fukushima Update.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ryluer, Mar 5, 2015.

1. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Don't get to * though teabreak.:)

Edited due to unsuitable language

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    teabreak likes this.
  2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Well keep it to yourself,we're not interested. 1425839399573.jpeg

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Of course, where you get your views from is totally relevant. A friend of mine is a member of the green party. I don't need to ask him where he gets most of his views from. He'd openly admit, he's heavily influenced by the green's views, but does have some interesting views of his own. For instance, he fully realises that solar, wind and tidal generation, isn't going to meet our long term energy needs, so accepts that nuclear and fossil fuel generated power is going to be with us for quite some time.

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

No one any comment on this then....?????

Were working in a chicken processing facility at the moment. (Fitting a new roof on one section) They kill and process 90,000 chickens weekly. Which is a relatively small operation compared to the likes of Moy park.
    They spend about £15,000 per month on electricity to keep the vast amount of machines running. (which again is chicken feed compared to the big operators, no pun intended)
    They also have about 30 transport lorries on the roads.

They now say they need to increase their kill rate to 3000 per hour. To cover increasing costs and overheads.

If they supplied all those chickens to a select group of 90,000 people every week and suddenly those people decide to have their own chickens running around in their back yards.
    What do you think will happen?

That's a demand on electricity gone. And of course the supermarkets electricity bill goes down also as the refrigeration plant has less work to do.
    Lorries are removed from the roads and less fuel burned.

Building atomic boilers is not the answer.
    The perpetual state of burn, burn burn has to stop. Or at least slow down.

Say RW put that through google and see where it comes up. Since you seem to have plenty of time on your hands.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't want to grow chickens in my garden, I want to buy dead ones from a shop.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I don't need to, it's fairly obvious what's just copied and what's your own writing, not that this makes much more sense. Of course it matters that you copy statements from elsewhere and don't add much of your own, regardless of whether you agree 100% or not, you may as well of just put a link to the original and said " I find this interesting, what's everyone elses view" it would of saved a lot of time for a start and would of at least helped people think you actually know what your talking about, whereas this muddle of rubbish copied from odd sources, that contradict each other and are completely biased make you look the fool.
    Referencing to help a debate is one thing, this is just thoughtless copying with little of your own input which makes this thread totally pointless.

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

And millions more think the same which is part of the reason why we are seeing an energy crisis loom.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you self sufficient?

9. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

It's not just thinking that they don't want to keep their own chickens, there'll be tons of people that may like to but aren't able due to living in flats, houses with no gardens, rentals where pets aren't permitted.

10. joinerjohn1

So the energy crisis has actually been caused by the chicken producing industry?? What a poultry excuse. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Welshdragon1, chippie244 and Ryluer like this.
  11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

It's the same story right across the entire food industry.

12. Dearie me, Ryluer.

The 'rony is that I gulped as hard as anyone after witnessing the catastrophe at Chernobyl, and let more than one "HOLY S*!" slip when watching the Japanese tsunami and the truly frightening explosion at one of their reactors.

But, but, but - what I then look out for is facts facts facts.

Not running around looking for completely invalidated nonsense from clearly biased sources.

If you really wanted to, you could work out a fairly accurate picture of the true consequences of these - and other - nuclear reactor horrors.

And - to provide us with a balanced picture - also provide some figures for the fatalities in the oil, gas and coal industries.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you self sufficient in your own food and energy needs or do you use shops and the grid?

14. joinerjohn1

I think Prince William, visited the Fukushima prefecture on his recent visit to Japan. Just goes to show how unsafe it is, when the third in line to the British throne is put in such danger... He'll probably now die in his nineties.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I bet it makes his hair fall out.

16. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

What spans 1,600 hectares, cost $2.2 billion to build, and potentially fries hundreds of thousands of birds per year? The new BrightSource solar power plant in California’s Mojave Dessert. The plant, which uses some 350,000 garage-door-sized mirrors to focus sunlight on three boiler towers, also acts as a death ray, instantly igniting and killing any wildlife that happen to fly through the intense beam of light. Wildlife officials are concerned that this concentrated solar power plant, and others like it, could turn into “mega-trap” that decimates the ecosystem — first attracting insects, and then attracting birds that eat insects. BrightSource, in the mean time, is forging ahead with an even larger solar power plant that officials say could kill four times as many birds.

That's better than the bird/bat chopping wind turbines. Not to mention the radioactive pollution from the neodymium extraction. Or the toxic dead-landscapes from pv panel production pollution.

Or the fields of diesel generators that are being paid to do nothing (STOR - short term operating reserve), ready for the day when they've shut one too many coal power stations and the wind don't blow.

And this will double electricity bills in a few short years - that is the only thing that is guaranteed.

Oh, the new smart meters, they will allow them to manage demand i.e. cut you off/reduce the voltage remotely so that the lights stay on in Downing Street.

17. joinerjohn1

Bit late for that I think. :p:p:p:p:p:p

18. "...and potentially fries hundreds of thousands of birds per year?"

That's hundreds of thousands of very stupid birds each year. "Ooh-ooh, it's getting kinda hot in here - I know, I'll chust keep flying this wa... fzzzzzzzzzz"

Very interesting, though, Mr Grim (hey - welcome back :) ). I wonder chust how many birds it'll really cook, though? I mean, it definitely has the potential to kill many hundreds of thousands of birds each year, but - call me cynical - I reckon that can only be done if you catch them all first and feed them into the beams...

It also has the potential to kill 23 kangaroos each year. But only if you import them, tie them kangaroos down, sport, and then dangle them inside... you know where I'm going with this, don't you?

And how many birds are actually killed by wind turbines? I dunno - but when I look at how how little space these blades take up alongside the massively great outdoors, I would hazard that the number is completely and utterly insignificant.

19. joinerjohn1

I've heard that KFC have expresses an interest in one of these solar power plants. :D:D:D:D

20. It's for their new very, very, very fast food outlet.