full bore stop cock

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gary B, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Gary B

Gary B New Member

our pressure is low added to which last year we had a weep on the spindle ( plumber sorted that ) of our stop tap indoors.
    Were on a meter so have easy access to stop water in from outside. I would like to keep in house in case of emergency but thinking we should replace with a full bore.
    Is this a stop tap situation of lever, please

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. I'd personally fit one of these every time. Makes complete sense.

If you have high water pressure - not an issue in your case! - just be sure to open it smoothly; it can be alarming to hear the shock of an 'instant' opening being applied to your pipes!

Gary, is this a house or flat? Have you tried an actual 'flow' test?

Bucket under cold kitchen tap, open fully for 10 seconds, measure volume in litres, times it by 6 and you'll get 'litres per minute'. If it's really bad, the water board are - I understand - obliged to improve it.

What kind of hot water system do you have - is there a cold storage tank in the loft?

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Gary B

Gary B New Member

DA, were in a bungalow, GCH with a combi. had a slightly larger LPM flow rate as we have a shower direct from it. the kitchen HW requires tap to be opened 1/4 and then takes a good couple of minutes to get hot. its a run of approx 6mt in 15mm plastic / insulated. just done flow test. got 12LPM

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

KIAB likes this.
  7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Surely it will depend on the size of his incoming feed - 15mm or 22mm ...

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Good point, most feeds are 15mm :rolleyes:

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Use full ball lever valves wherever you can

As long as there wras approved the water board are happy