Fused Timeswitch - no earth

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cpk, Feb 20, 2014.

1. cpk

cpk New Member

I bought a fused spur timeswitch for heated towel rail to replace current fused switch. It's in zone 3, other end of bathroom from sink etc.

Current fused switch is on a ring main so has 4 earths connected, it is a plastic back box.

The new Timeswitch doesn't have earth connection points. What's the best thing to do with the earths? I can't terminate to backbox or switch - is this okay? I assume only option is to connect all 4 earths in one connector block but not sure there is room in the box?

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Will have to use a suitably sized connector for the earths, if they won't fit inside the back box then you will need to fit a deeper one..

3. cpk

cpk New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I've got some a suitable big connectors so will try to see if those fit in the box.

I think the 4th Earth is coming from a 240v Room Thermostat the other side of the wall.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Presume that this switch is mounted onto a 1 Gang pattress box, so as Caddy says, just use a deeper box

Various makes of pattress boxes come in varying depths but commonly found in 32, 45, 47, 50mm depths
    Some plastic boxes do come with an earth lug so you may be able to fit all 4 earths into this, this will be neater than a separate block

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gan...w-cable-clamp-earth-terminal-white-50mm/28489

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Was also gonna mention (although a minor point in regards to your post) no longer a Zone 3 in bathrooms

Zones 0, 1, 2 now

Good luck anyway

6. cpk

cpk New Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help and link. Unfortunately this is a dry wall box, but hopefully might be deep enough...

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Oh right, you've got a stud wall then.......

Appleby do a 47mm box, no earth lug though

So you've got 2 T & E cables from the ring, 1 flex from the rad and a 4th earth from the other side of the wall ?

8. cpk

cpk New Member

Yes, pretty sure 4th earth is from other side of wall and from a 240v room thermostat for underfloor heating.

9. cpk

cpk New Member

I ought to add the flex from the rad is an external connection ('flying lead'!?)