Gap above window?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by RowanX, Sep 24, 2014.

1. RowanX

RowanX New Member

I just noticed that there is an exposed gap above one of my kitchen windows, on the outside.

Compare that to the other windows, on which the gap is covered by.. cloaking? Or whatever its called.

[​IMG]

So firstly, should the second window have the same, or might this be some kind of.. intentional vented gap?

If it should be covered over, what is the name of the length of material I need, is it cloaking or something else? And how to affix?

Any advice much apprieciated, my DIY experience is beginner! :)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The piece of material covering the gap on the first picture is called a quadrant. It appears you have aluminum windows.

It looks as though the quadrant is made from wood, which are easily available from most DIY stores. They come in softwood and hardwood, hardwood would be more suitable for outdoor situations.

RowanX likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is that an actual gap, or is it just unpainted timber showing though after a bit of shrinkage.

4. RowanX

RowanX New Member

Thanks Jitender.

Phil its a gap, about 1cm at least, sorry for the crummy photo!

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Ok, fill the gap with a water proof mastic, then fit a quadrant over it as said above, you can stick the quadrant in place with the mastic.

RowanX likes this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Upon closer inspection the wooden bead is actually a window bead as shown below. If the windows are on the same wall i t would bet better to go with the same profile. Notice the differences in the pictures.

upload_2014-9-24_21-22-38.jpeg
    Window Bead

[​IMG]
    Quadrant

RowanX likes this.
  7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Isn't that what they call 'double-Roman' ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Jit, could it be just quadrant, but with a line of sealant along both edges?

Anyways, Rowan, do as he says - properly fill and seal that gap first using good quality sealant - which you can get in black (probably from our hosts too). Then yer quad stuck down with sealant and then wipe yer finger along the extruded stuff to give a neat finish like t'other one.

At the risk of being a broken record, there's stuff called StixAll (by Everbuild - but other brands too) which is a superb, really tough sealant and adhesive - it'll do both jobs for you. And you can get it in black.

RowanX likes this.
  9. jonathan joiner

jonathan joiner New Member

why not try and use bubble gum or sumat to fill the gap then get some playdough and create a large rolled out piece to push up using your fingers be careful though not to make finger marks in the nice neatly rolled dough............pmsl

10. StixAll should also help your incontinence problem. Allow me to sharpen the cartridge nozzle.

Rulland likes this.
  11. RowanX

RowanX New Member

Its not clear from the photo particularly, but the shape of the piece is not actually a quadrant, its longer, more like this actually on the right:

[​IMG]

Is that still called a quadrant or something else? I googled "Double Roman" but that appears to be some kind of roof tile?

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Think that shape is called "hockey stick", comes in various sizes.

Could also ljust be a bit of door stop or door jamb

Pop along to your local wood yard or shed and try to match up. Depends really how important the match is on wether these two windows are close together or not

Failing to match you could always replace around both windows ​

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

'Edge fillet' then. Double Roman was completely wrong.

If you get a fillet wider than needed(say the other window has 20mm x 10mm) say 30 or 40mm x 10mm, fill the gap with yoursilicone/mastic, and shove the fillet in to properly fill the gap with wood.
    Then seal along top and bottom of fillet.(if painting, paint before sealing)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really