Gap at bottom of wall after plastering

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rystar00, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

hi guys,

But of a novice here so just wondered if I could get some advice from someone in the know please!

Is it normal to have these gaps at the bottom of a wall after plastering? I'm worried about fixing skirting and having to pack them out.

Just wanted to check if it was normal before handing over my hard earned cash!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Pic is sideways on, but yes its normal not to plaster all the way down.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Rystar, not only is it common it's good practice. Stops a hump/lump building up at the place where the floor and wall meet. Then fixing skirts is really difficult.

4. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Great thanks guys. Really appreciate the reassurance!

5. Also prevents carp being picked up from the floor and messing up yer beautiful skimming :).

Hopefully the skim layer is nice and even and level right down to that gap, so that the skirting boards will fit nicely upright when placed tight against the wall. Sometimes the skim layer tapers off as it goes down to the bottom, so the skirting slopes a wee bitty inwards at the bottom - now that is annoying... :(

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One house where I went to had a problem with Silverfish living in the voids behind the skirtings. Had to remove the skirtings to get at them

Now before I put skirtings on, I put a little long life crawling insect powder in and seal it up. A lot of these kill not only silverfish but woodlice and other parasites. Remember to put a little label in there as some of these powders are COSHH

7. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Thanks guys. Is it also normal for them to leave a mess (blobs of dried plaster on floor, frames etc)?

I know they're messy but not sure whether that is normal or they're being lazy and using the fact that other plasterers are messy as a justification.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Most plasterers have arms like Gorillas but the clean up skills of a toddler - ask any carpenter or painter

9. It's like a number of peeps in many trades, they mistake 'arrogance' for 'pride'.

They think that having the attitude "Hey I'm a talented spread - I leave the cleaning up to the lowly decorators and chippies..." indicates pride in their skill, whereas genuine pride in their work would leave it all in an excellent state.

Expect this particular spread to stick out his lower lip and become quite petulant if you ask them to clean up their own mess... :rolleyes:

And if he has arms like a gorilla, then prob best not to anyways... :oops:

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Letting plasterers in your house is like keeping pigs in your living room, you might get something nice at the end of it but the mess will be unbelievable.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not all spreads obviously Ki :):)

13. Yeah, with some you don't even end up with anything nice...

14. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Thanks guys. He has got arms like a gorilla (and tattoos to match!) so I will certainly try the civil approach! :oops:

One last thing... (You can tell I'm feeling my way through this!) is it normal for them to finish the edge of their skin over the door frames? I will fit architrave around them but just wanted to make sure. It's an old house with narrow frames so wasn't much space to play with to start with

15. I suspect they'll use the door frame edges as their guides to level off the skim, so's it's all at the same level. In doing this, plaster will be coating the frame edges.

Just whose job it is to clean this up I don't know - the chippy or the plasterer.

Chippie, what d'ya reckon?

If the guy is genuinely taking the piddle and the job of leaving it clean is his (and I chust don't know), and your chippy or decorator is moaning and claiming it'll now take them longer, then you are entitled to either hold back a sum to cover paying the chippy for this extra work.

After you've discussed that with them, of course, and given them the opportunity to put things right.

KIAB likes this.
  16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not going to clean up after anybody. It is normal for them to leave snots but it is not good. Get the labourer to clean it up.