Garage Conversion floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Johnboy4809, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Johnboy4809

Johnboy4809 New Member

Hi all,

Im buying a house which currently has an internal garage as part of an extension, we want to convert it to a guest bedroom / cinema room. We have had some quotes but they have ranged from £15000 to £25000 which seems a little costly. I happy to do work myself and get tradesman in to do the things im not allowed such as electrics but whilst i'm happy with building stud walling and the plumbing ive never insulated a concrete slab. as I will be building stud walling on top ot the floated floor i just wandered which method is best. the floor does have a dpm under the concrete slab. I was going to lay kingspan sheets onto the floor then place over a chipboard floated floor. my stud wall would then be screwed to the chipboard. Or would i be better battening the concreted floor kingspan in the spaces then screw down the floor boarding to the battons. the stud base then screwed to the battons. Or does someone have a better suggestion

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A floating floor would be easier, but it depends on how level your slab is, should be built with a fall away from the house. How much of a step is there from the house to the garage? Could lay insulation and screed over the top, only thing then is the time taken for screed to dry out. Or you can batten, insulate and board as you've suggested.

3. Johnboy4809

Johnboy4809 New Member

thanks Jord, I did think about as you suggested foam layer then a self levelling screed but then wondered how stable the base of the stud wall would be as its only going to be screwed or glued to screed and foam. Ill not know the level until we get the keys but think im going to go with a wooden sub frame infilled with insulation and then floor grade chipboard sheets. once all thats down i have a strong base to attach my stud walling

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree with Jord, floating floor.

5. Johnboy4809

Johnboy4809 New Member

KIAB how would i then ensure the base of the stud work is securely fixed to the floor

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

just base the studwork on the concrete, then fit the floating floor over insulation sheets to get the right level - simple

I presume you are comfortable with filling in the existing garage door and upgrading the thermal insulation to meet current regs? I'm not surprised at the costs as it sound simple but the material cost mounts up!

p.s. also check that you've got permitted development to do this. Some properties have this removed

7. Johnboy4809

Johnboy4809 New Member

thanks jonathan and yes i have planning permission under permitted development with dorset council i will be making the building regs submision once we have the keys and the £10000 was his labour charge i had to supply materials

8. I am going to do a similar thing in a double garage but i want to be able in the future to remove the studded wall i was wondering if it is ok to put a wooden piece in between the kingspan sheets on the concrete under the chipbord floor to carry the studded wall

9. Johnboy4809

Johnboy4809 New Member

In the end we went with a DPM all over floor then trimmed out with timber all round with Barton’s and noggins. This was then in filled with kingsoan studding build straight on top then chipboard floor. Worked out cheaper than laying down kingspan then screeding to level