Garage conversion: stud wall query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Daz Melling, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Daz Melling

Daz Melling New Member

Hi Guys

I have started at a partial conversion of my detached double garage into a home office. To save costs, I am doing as much of the work as I can.

The garage has a pitched roof and the conversion takes up approx two thirds of one side of the garage and effectively will be an “insulated box” that sits in the garage. There is no planned structural change as part of the conversion eg up/over car doors will remain etc and I have put in for a Building Notice with the local council.

My query is in relation to the stud walls. They have been constructed using 2”x4”, will contain insulation board, foil taped and I am also planning to use insulated plasterboard. Two of the walls face the external walls of the garage and these have been backed with 4mm ply and then Tyvex Supro with a then 50mm gap to the wall.

For the internal walls I was looking at thicker ply/OSB to allow the hanging of tools, ladders etc within the garage. Should these walls have/need a membrane on the outside?

Thanks in advance

Daz

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you are talking about internal, separating, walls then fill your boots.

3. Hi Daz.

What Chippie means is...um...er, I dunno.

What d'ya mean Chips?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It seems like he is building internal walls against his external walls which need vapour barriers and insulation and walls to separate the space which require neither. I could have misread this.

FatHands likes this.
  5. Daz Melling

Daz Melling New Member

Thanks for responding

To clarify ... The office is a square in one corner of the the garage and has two stud walls that face the external garage walls and two that face into the garage. The stud walls that are next to the external walls have been backed with Tyvex.

The garage itself is cold so the other two walls will be insulated but from your response I don't need the breather membrane.

Thanks again

Daz

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No you don't need to worry about the membrane on the inside wall, but if you already have it, it won't hurt to fit it.

FatHands likes this.
  7. Daz Melling

Daz Melling New Member

Cheers all!