Garage Conversion U Rating Celotex insulation Problem

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jonbhoy, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Jonbhoy

Jonbhoy New Member

Hi All,

Just coming up with plans to convert garage into a bedroom .I am doing everything apart from the front brickwork and putting in the window (My straight line brick work is not that great so leaving it to pro).

Now we got a quote from a builder and he said would we like full width window or one a stretcher brick width either side less which would be to small . Now the problem is one corner where the side wall connects to where the garage door is,is only 110mm wide so i have to find a way of insulating within a wood frame with a 50mm cavity and plasterboard it within that size and hit the U rating.I have spent the last week looking everywhere at different sites etc and come up with nothing so now raising the white flag and wondering if anyone can help at all ? Will be getting building Control in in about 2 weeks but their reply to my question was go and look on the Celotex site!Now i am sure for a pro that is a breeze but i am new and trying to learn whilst doing this for the first time.

Now theres similar garages in the area that seem to have managed it and have knocked on doors but all seem to say they had it done a while back or they did not want to help (Knocked at a door of a guy who had his done last month and got told to....ahem go away and mind my own business.Thats him off the xmas card list haha).Cant blame him though but i would have tried to help.

Is there anyone that can help at all please with their ideas or what to use to get round this?

Thanks so much in advance,

Jon

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

25 battens over breather membrane to obviate any damp issues (BCs don't like blackjack anymore), 55 Celotex. 12.5 plasterboard and set. Total<100.
    You are allowed to work to 0.30W/sqmK for an upgrade rather than 0.28 for new work. Check with BC first though, as you should for any work as it's so much easier than arguing after the event.

Jonbhoy likes this.
  3. Jonbhoy

Jonbhoy New Member

Hi Stevie,

Thanks so much for the info,that makes great sense . I am guessing best way is a "Figure of 8" type batten with maybe an extra down the middle.Is it worth maybe leaving gaps in the batten deisgn for a bit of air movement then a few air ventilation bricks put in?

4. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Remember the U values stated in the Building Regulations Approved Documents are a guide, not fixed. If the existing condition of your building means you can only fit 50mm rather than 60mm of insulation then that will usually be satisfactory. If you have a good relationship with your BCO it will be fine.

Jonbhoy likes this.
  5. Jonbhoy

Jonbhoy New Member

Thanks so much Ben,thats very reassuring.