Garage door paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by vwdubs, Apr 26, 2017.

1. vwdubs

vwdubs Member

Hi, I'm slowly doing the garage up and the paint on garage door is flaking off on the outside and I want to paint the inside white to make it brighter.
    What paint would you recomend using as I've had a look at exterior paint and metal paint and the reviews are hit and miss.

Thanks ben

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is the door metal or wood?

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've used Dulux Metalsheild myself on garage door and very good results. Usual prep required and bare metal needs a coat of Metalsheild primer

Also take a look at Bedec Barn Paint (yep know ur talking about a garage) !

Not used it myself (yet) but always has great reviews and very little prep or primers / undercoat needed. It seems like an amazing product

Comes in a few colours and either Matt, satin or gloss - take a Google !

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. I'm def going to try that Bedec paint on my garage door external face.

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. vwdubs

vwdubs Member

Hi its metal

7. vwdubs

vwdubs Member

Thanks I'll have a look at that. Do I use the same stuff for the inside. As want white inside and blue outside

8. vwdubs

vwdubs Member

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Galvanised metal? If so get the correct paint for surface. You need to really clean it well. Krud off or some other per paint cleaner. Any oil or dirt will stop paint sticking well.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This Bedec Barn paint can be applied over surfaces previously painted with creosote, tar or bitumen, according to their website so must really have some good adhesion properties

I've been looking as want to paint a timber side gate black which has been recently treated with creosote

Bedec gaurentee their barn paint will do the job, water based as well an no primer/undercoat needed - seems too good to be true

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Refer to DIYDave posts!...........he beat me to it! :rolleyes: mind you he's a keen learner!

12. Raul B

Raul B Member

So avoid Hammerite products, how comes no one mentions that?

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I find Hammerite a bit thick and soft. Like some on here.