GARAGE ELECTRICS

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lesta, Jan 16, 2017.

1. lesta

lesta New Member

HI,COULD SOMEONE ADVISE,I HAVE THE OLD PULL OUT FUSE TYPE IN MY GARAGE, TWO 16 AMP CARTRIDGES WITH THE REPLACEABLE FUSE WIRE, I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THIS WITH A NEW UNIT,IS IT LEGAL TO DO THIS ? THE GARAGE IS FED BY A 6MM TWIN AND EARTH CABLE,THIS IS RUN FROM THE CONSUMER BOARD 32AMP MCB OVERHEAD ON TENSION WIRE SUPPORT TO THE OLD STYLE FUSE BOARD,THE GARAGE HAS 5 DOUBLE SOCKETS AND ONE LIGHT,THE FUSES FAIL ABOUT ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR, SO NOT A BIG PROBLEM,BUT ITS SUCH A PAIN WHEN THEY DO, ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Advise #1

Don't shout.

Joe95 and lesta like this.
  3. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Hi lesta, twin and earth shouldn't really be run out doors without some form of protection as its not UV tolerant. Your best bet would be to replace the circuit with a cable that is more suitable and upgrade the CU at the same time to something modern. Both a new circuit and replacing a CU fall under the realms of being notifiable work. The work could be carried out by yourself if your competent to do so and posses the necessary test equipment to conduct the required tests to note the results on your installation certificate you will be completing. Going this route would also involve you getting your local authority building control involved before hand and paying their fee which is normally around the £400 mark. Probably best to get an electrician in who is part of a competent persons scheme such as the NICEIC, elecsa, napit, stroma etc who can notify their own work being part of one of these schemes.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

WHAT?

5. Meerkatmtd

Meerkatmtd New Member

Messaging in capital letters is referred to as shouting :)

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

lol, i know! Did you not notice mt caps?

7. lesta

lesta New Member

8. lesta

lesta New Member

Many thanks for you advice,very helpful THANKS

9. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

hi just throwing it out but what brand is the current cu? As if its the type i think it is either mem or wylex (and is one of the newer type since it is only 2 try retro fit mcbs)

10. tina lucinda lane

11. tina lucinda lane

12. tina lucinda lane