Garage light Wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dain1, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

Hi all, I will say thanks in advance for any help i recieve and my problem is this.

I have a basic understanding of wiring and i recently wired up my whole garage with 6x two gang sockets also utilising one of them as a spur into the room on the other side of the wall. My next task is to wire up two tube lights on the roof controled by 2 switches (one at one end of the garage, one at the other), with the mains power coming directly out of the consumer unit.

I've had a bit of a brain fart and can't seem to find the diagram i require on the net. would it be possible for somebody to find me/make me a diagram showing all wires (with colour) to each item.

I understand I will require the following items which i am already in possesion of:

1. 2Core+E
    2. 3Core+E
    3. 1 x Junction box
    4. 2 x Tube lights and units (already fitted in position)
    5. 2 x 2gang switches
    I will add a picture of the set up of my garage if it helps.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

3. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

Apologies but I did not make that as clear as I intended, at each end of the garage I want to be able to control each light independently. IE a double switch at both ends of the garage, each controlling one of the tubular lights.

Thanks

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

just do as per the diagram - twice - and use a 2 gang 2 way switch at both ends

5. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

Sorry to be a pest but any chance you could doctor that circuit using paint and post it so I could see the whole circuit?

You see where the 2 core taps into the 3 core in the diagram, do I use a junction box there or just connect it inside the light?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You connect it in the switch, if you want the light to come on individually you just wire as above to either side of a double gang switch.

Got to ask how have managed to wire the rest of your garage??

7. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

I could probably do it no worries it would just be a lot easier to understand if I saw it on a diagram. I understand the whole dynamics of a ring-main but I wasn't sure if it was the same principle with a lighting circuit?

A ring-main is simple because its 1 cable containing 3 wires, in a socket, out a socket, in/out, in/out all the way back to the consumer unit. I'm just a bit confused because of the different switches and different lights and all working off the same circuit.

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no junction box, just two wires to two of the switch terminals...... don't take the following the wrong way

I think you'd be better getting someone with a little more experience (such as an electrician) to do this, for your own safety - it will also need testing, and I have a suspicion you don't have the necessary equipment

and no a neon screwdriver won't do :p

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

This is where most DIY'ers start to come unstuck, anything more than 'like for like' it becomes 'sparky' territory............and imho that's where it should stay, no dig at you Dain, but there are some things a novice shouldn't attempt.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you say - mains power coming directly out of the consumer unit -
    Do you mean a 2 way CU located in the garage with 6A /32A breakers or the house CU

11. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

A separate CU in the garage, 4 way with the relevant breakers for each electrical circuit.

Thankyou for your concern Sean and Rulland but I'll be giving this lighting circuit a whirl anyway I just need to get it straight in my head and all help is greatly appreciated.

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

13. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

So I'm making progress, I'm drawing my own diagram then I plan on getting you guys to check it. Bit stumped though, I've seen different diagrams with different set ups and just want to be clear on something.

When I feed the cable directly out of the garage consumer unit from one of my trip fuses does that initial 2core and earth go to the light unit with a 3core and earth coming out of the light to the switch or am I incorrect? If I am right, where do I go from there?

I guess what I'm asking is what is the sequence that the perm live reaches each section?

14. Phil the Paver

From CU to light twin and earth, from light to switch twin and earth, from switch to switch 3 core and earth, this is my understanding of it.

15. mr reflex

mr reflex Member

2 of 2 way lighting circuits...........

16. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

I can see that now mate, Thankyou.

17. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

And the second light is connected to the 2nd switch, or whichever is closer? Shouldn't matter should it, just be a bit cramped inside one of the switches? Or am I wrong there?

18. Phil the Paver

If you are using a two gang switch then you wire one light to one of the gangs (switches) and the other light to the other, so if you wish to have both lights on you switch both switches, or one switch for one light, yes it will be tight in there, you will need deep boxes, or you could just fit two switches next to each other if it's easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iid9aimjvr04jae/2 gang switch.jpg

19. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

Brilliant! Thanks! I think I finally have it, I've done a draft sketch and I think I've cracked it, I'll draw it up properly tomorrow and upload it, see if it looks right to you all. Thanks again!!

20. Dain1

Dain1 New Member

Now I understand this may be a little confusing but can somebody please check my work to check all wires go to the correct terminals? I understand some colours will be wrong but I used what I had, the basic principle should be the same. Thanks in advance

Attached Files: