Garage roof replacement. Corrugated to EDPM

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AndyYPVS, Mar 25, 2014.

1. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

I've just bought my first house and the Garage roof is corrugated asbestos style. It has plants growing through one corner and I plan to use the garage as a workshop for motorbikes so want it replaced. I've just had someone come around and they have suggested a figure of £3800 and I dont think that took into account the removal of the asbestos. I have been quoted £380 + vat to remove the asbestos so that is taken care of.

Next step is what to replace with.

I'm sure I could do most if not all of the work myself and have been looking around the internet and found the EDPM rubber roofing which seems like a good option. The garage is 10ft x 20ft and seems that prices are 400-500 for the kit.

I'll obviously need to have boards to fit the edpm to and will need more joists and this is where I need some help and advice.

Can anyone tell me what size and how many joists I would need for a garage of this size?

Can the joists be fitted using joist hangers?

What boards should I use?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've not done a huge amount of work like this before but nothing seems beyond my limits that I can see.

Below are a few photos of the garage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

175mmx45mm at 400mm centres, yes, 18mm OSB or WPB structural ply

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It would be a lot cheaper to just cut the plant down though. :)

4. plane-it

plane-it Member

Make sure it's OSB3 not OSB2.

5. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I want the roof replaced either way. I may be over cautious but I dont like the idea of that stuff being there. It's going to be more of a workshop than a garage. Would joist hangers be the best way to do it?

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

if the existing roof doesn't leak, why not leave it there and just clad the inside putting some insurlation up there as well.:)

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The worst thing you can do with asbestos is disturb it, it's fine where it is, there are 10's of thousands of roofs like that including my pantry and garage. You don't want to drill or saw it but otherwise leave it or clad it.
    Look for joist hangers that don't need a layer of masonry on top if you do decide to go ahead.

8. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

I know it will be fine where it is but I would just prefer it out of the way and have a good roof that i know will last and protect my bikes and tools. The roof doesnt leak exactly but where the sheeting is bolted/screwed down into the current joists there are signs of water coming through and I've been told its where the original felt washers will have broken down and now water can get through.

What exactly is cladding? What would the benefits be?

How will I know if they will need a layer of masonry?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A smear of silicon would probably solve that.
    Cladding is simply boarding over the joists with plasterboard or similar possibly combined with insulation between the joists.

10. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

OK cheers, i'll look into that.

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

those old roofing sheets have a very low asbestos content in them - good DIY project, save yourselves a good few grand

195x45 C16 400 centers, only use hangers if you don't mind loosing a bit of headroom - plenty of dwangs - DPC - 18mm OSB - 100mm Kingspan 18mm OSB - EDPM

maybe a few flags to stand some decking on - instant sundeck/observation post

12. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

Sean, thanks very much for the reply. I'm new to all this so not sure what alot of what you said means. Could you explain a little more if i get any of the below wrong. I'm handy with tools but spend most of my time rebuilding 2 stroke motorcycle engines so this is all foreign to me at the minute. Every day is a learning day though.

195x45 is the timber size for the joists?
    400 centers means 400mm between the centre of each joist?
    no idea what dwangs, DPC means.
    OSB is a type of board that would then be nailed to the joists?
    100mm kingspan. is this some sort of insulation board?
    then another layer of the osb boarding?

Im also not sure what you mean by flags etc?

Thanks for the support, I'm sure Its a job I can do. Just been quoted around £2500 by someone else so the prices are coming down but 2500 would still buy me another motorbike which is where id prefer to spend the money!

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

there's 20 ways to do a similar job - so don't be surprised if you get 20 slightly different suggestions, but the general gist will be the same - with perhaps the occasional daft solution - I've also insulated the roof, and made it strong enough to use as a deck as I like looking down on folks

flags are flagstones, paving slabs - all they are doing is to load spread for the decking - perhaps that's a project for next year - you also don't need to insulate the roof but if you are likely to be spending some time in it, so may want to insulate the walls at a later date

DPC is a damp roof course, just a fancy name for a sheets of 1200 gauge plastic - this stops moisture travelling upwards, the EDPM stops it coming downwards

there's a 1001 sites with more than enough easy detail for you to follow with regards to glueing and trimming the roof and how to include guttering etc - such as the below

[​IMG]

14. You need to get a few more prices, a roof that size should come in about £1440
    Excluding remove of asbestos, and any insulation.
    There are dedicated walkway pads for epdm roofs, loose laid or glued.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or you could cut the plant down, save yourself £1500 and buy 2 bikes :)

16. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Your 1st house and you got cash to spare fixing a garage roof that ain't broken? Damn how times have changed!

Those roof boards are asbestos cement and of VERY little risk to anyone's health even when removing 'em and definitely not a cause for concern where they are. I'm a huge fan of EPDM and would definitely recommend it when you need a new roof, but I'd go with some of less costly suggestions above first, unless you have bottomless pockets and wanna line someone else's or boost the local economy that is.

Replace the necessary roofing bolts and perished seals, you'll most likely find the leaking ones are loose due to localised wet rot, probably 4" so knock a few 6" bolts into those joists after a good dose of a decent silicon sealant. Simply keep the roof free of moss and lichen (or Ivy) with a biocide and that roof will last for many a year to come. Insulate and board internally, jobs a good 'un for a few hundred notes.

When you say "workshop for motorbikes" & "2 stroke motorcycle engines" I think MX and a garage laden with Snap-on or similar expensive gear, not to mention the mostly untraceable bikes 'em selves... Basically your garage is gonna become a magnet for every light fingered scrote in a 20 mile radius! Save yourself the quite irritating feeling of coming down to an empty workshop one mornin' and spend your cash on beefing up the physical and electronic security first.

More general info on those nasty asbestos boards here... http://www.eden.gov.uk/health/healt...bestos-guidance/working-with-asbestos-cement/

And an example of what a scrote will do to your existing up-and-over garage door.

Attached Files:

17. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Andy, I suggest you take note of Ray's comments. He's talking loads of sense. Us old & retired sods have gained a vague idea after 50 years or so. :D

18. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Hmm, "Who needs Asbestos Testing Laboratories"

Definitely not the OP! Maybe businesses that use scare tactics to charge exorbitant fees to remove a few sq metres of the 'horrid nasty killer' from a punters garden?

I'd wager my pension on being right in this case based purely on those pics and sleep easy knowing I never sought to earn a bean from the advice given, can you say the same Danmarque?

High fives Malkie ;)

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Ray Retired, going by the OPs name I would say the two stroke engines are Yamaha RD LC ones, either 250/350 or 400cc

Andy YPVS, Yamaha power valve system.

Good point about the door though, I ride MX and Enduro and allways worry about the bikes, so many pikey scum out there, I know someone who had a window removed from his house so they could get his bike out through it, did the neighbours hear anything did they ****.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member