Garage roof replacement. Corrugated to EDPM

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AndyYPVS, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Fair shout Phil. My thoughts were based around garage security & past ownership of a pair of KX500's and the expense of the MX addiction.

Footnote... My only Yami was a FS1E, back in the days when a few bob filled the tank with 2 gallon of 4 star & two shots of rock oil. ;)

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

A

Argh now there's a memory, FS1Es had a few of those in my teens, you had some big balls though, KX 500 are mental even more so than the CR 500, I'm a bit of a ***** by comparison I have a YZ 125 bored out to 134cc and a Suzuki DRZ400 for Enduro and green laning.

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Cheers Ray ;)

4. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Phil, I thought you had thrown a wobbly there (or maybe I had a Stella too many) but then I realised you were talking about bikes. Sorry blokes, I'm not into them. :(

5. Jaric Willows

Jaric Willows New Member

I am a bike freak, only thing that appeal me in riding the bike is the freedom it gives.

6. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

Cheers for all the replies. It's useful being able to get some advice from people who are in no way going to gain by my decision and just good enough to take the time to offer some useful opinions.

To clear up a few things. There is no plant thats living next to the garage any more. I think all that is there had grown through and then the plant was cut down, the remains are just lurking.

I came to the decision about replacing by working from the simplest idea of removing all the old bits of plant, then thinking....hmm. maybe i could take the roof sheets off, tidy things up and make sure there are no leaks etc. Then thinking, well if they are coming off is there anything better to go on. ( I think this process comes from working on the bikes!) Then finding out they are asbestos and as mentioned the fear factor comes in. My Dad suffered with cancer a year back and I wouldnt want my GF to have to go through what my mother and the rest of the family did. Extreme? maybe...but I can always get another £500 (cost to get it removed). I cant get another set of lungs or another life if it all goes **** up.

Yes it is my first house and yes i ( we) have got some money left over. Well yes and no. I did alot of research when looking to buy a house and have been saving for years. I'm 23 now and moved in with my Girlfriend of 4 years. It's not been easy and we've not been on exotic holidays or bought new cars etc so its not been handed on a plate and its certainly not been a walk in the park! We aimed to have some left over after our deposit, stamp duty etc etc, to allow for furnishing the house etc. Bikes are my passion and I want the garage to be a nice place to work on them. Some people would spend £1000-2000 on a holiday, a car or maybe even booze and drugs. I'll get more enjoyment out of the garage!

YPVS is indeed the powervalve system mentioned above. I've got an RD350 YPVS on the road at the moment along with a few projects that need me to get a garage to work on them! I have been doing motocross all of last year but sold the bike prior to moving in here.

I'll certainly be getting security sorted prior to bikes going in there. Have had motocross bikes and road bikes in both rented and private garages in the area for a while now and not yet had any break in's and also have a few contacts in the area who I would go straight to if it ever did.

So, thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to tackle it myself under the supervision of a family friend who used to be in the trade. I'll probably pay someone to get rid of the current roof and then buy the edpm kit and materials. Still not looked into the costs of the joist hangers and the timber for the joists.

Removal of asbestos £500
    EDPM kit 10x20ft £450
    joists, hangers, boards etc ??

7. Phil the Paver

Before you pay someone £500.00 to take away the old roof (which is ridiculous), contact your local council, they may come and remove it for a lot less, or failing that and you can remove the sheet as a whole sheet, contact your local council waste site and see if you can dump it there, most of them will take it.

8. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

I can take it to a local dump but as i said, if theres the chance it can cause cancer, id rather leave it to the proffesionals. If i do it myself ill have to buy the asbestos bags, p3 masks, overals, gloves, footwear that all has to be chucked. and get a friend to help.

9. Phil the Paver

The stuff that's on your garage I personally have moved many times in the past, I took a factory roof off that was the same, without all the so called safety equipment, but that's just me, old school and still living.

Where are you based, if close enough I'll come a take it away for £300.00.;)

10. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

Worthing west sussex.

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I've got bikes, proper ones not toys like you've got - you can 100% sure that the chances of you being damaged whilst enjoying your hobby are many many many many times greater than the chances of you being damaged simply by taking those panels off

I'd bet that more people die or are injured each year whilst attempting to cross a road - asbestos can kill, but so could a box of Malteasers

12. Phil the Paver

To far away I'm afraid, that a pity, could have enjoied your 350.:)

13. Phil the Paver

What you talking about toys???, the RD350 is one of the most iconic bikes in the history of bikes, it's the bike that revolutionize two strokes back in the 80s and put a massive smile on the face of many a 17 year old. ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

17 year olds have toys :p

15. Phil the Paver

Go on tell me you own a tractor, sorry meant a Harley. :p

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

actually I do have tractors, from the 50s and a fancy big green one - I feel rather insulted that you think I might have one of those horrid ''bikes'' - the smallest bike I have is an old but mint Transalp, there's also kit form, very original XT350 in one of the sheds as well - along with a few beasts

17. Phil the Paver

The smallest bike you have then is the XT, the transalp is either a 600/650 or 700 depending if it's a import or not. ;)

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

89 600V - the XT is in kit form, a long way from running, it doesn't count if it doesn't run

them's the rules

19. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

Toys, yes! In the sense that its not a tool. I use it for fun not for getting around. Well said Phil. The RD is definitly an icon That engine is fantastic. Beats any 4 stroke hands down for the grin factor as do most 2 stroke bikes. Once ive got the garage sorted im starting my TZR 350 project. An rd350 ypvs engine is going into a TZR125RR which is one of the race rep italian Yamahas.

20. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

sewing machines