Garage roof replacement. Corrugated to EDPM

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AndyYPVS, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

being well in excess of 6 foot tall does somewhat bias my liking for such toys bikes

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I know what you mean height wise, I'm 6'3", but I always have been since I was about 15, didn't stop me have bikes like FS1Es, SS50 (less said about that the better), DT250 twin shock (great bike, used to ride it to collage, 98 miles away), GS550, YZ125 bored to 134, RM125 and DRZ400, must admit the off road, trail bikes are more comfortable to ride.

4. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

But Sean are you calling them toys because of their size or the type of engine? Height has nothing to do with engine preference. The same engine that is in the TZR125's is also in the TDR and DT125R. I rode a DT125R and im 5 ft 7. A friend who is 6ft 3 also had one. If you dont like the sports style 2 strokes try a TDR250. I bet you'd get on with it.

If its because of their engine size then you've gotta remember that a 2 stroke will put out twice as much power as a 4 stroke of comparable age etc. Look at bike racing. Up til the end of te 90's moto gp was 500cc 2 strokes or 1000cc 4 strokes. The only reason 2 strokes bike arent being made now is money. The 2 stroke 600cc snow mobile engines that are being produced are more efficient than the 4 strokes now.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I was teasing slightly - I'm 6'6'' and much prefer a longer/taller bike, which tend only to come with larger capacity engines

6. AndyYPVS

AndyYPVS New Member

Incase anyone else finds this post and whats to know what I finally decided to go for here is what im doing. Turns out the roof was leaking quite badly once we got some proper rain so a replacement was definitely needed. A friend of my Dads is a retired builder and so came round and gave me advice on what to do. His advice combined with the info i got from you guys on here is what ive used. He is going to supervise whilst I do the work.

Hiring a colleage who's dealt with asbestos before and is happy to remove the roof.

My local council has a waste disposal unit and will accept asbestos if double bagged and sealed using the correct guage bags. I've bought plenty of asbestos bags ( red and clear) and bought the chap some decent ppe to wear for removal.

So thats the current roof off, now onto the new roof.

I'm putting a mortar bed all the way around the top of the 4 walls as the current brickwork isnt very level and it sloped down to a gutter at one end. ( The 2 shorter ends have wooden tops so I'm using a metal mesh to aid the mortar)

On top of the mortar bed I'll be putting a 2x4 wall plate all the way around. Half lap joints at the corners and down the lengths to join the 2 sections ( I could only get 3.6m and the lengths are 6m). These wall plates will just be tapped into the bed to ensure they are level. Then I'll be waiting 24 hours plus for that to set.

These will then be held down with Restraint staps/wall plate straps/plate straps. 90 degree bend in them and can be found on screwfix. I've got a total of 10 as they came in packs of 5 so will use all, although i think this is overkill. screwd directly into the 2x4 on top and wall plugs down the side of the brickwork inside.

With that in place I'll be putting 15x 2x6 ( 47mmx147mm) C16 timber joists at 400mm centres. These will be fixed to the wall plate and im unsure of how many noggins/dwangs to use at the minute but will see on the day.

Ontop of the joists will be a total of 7x 1220x1440 boards of OSB3, cut to cover the whole roof.

Then I'll fit 250mm x18mm Fascia boards all the way around.

All that will be left after that is the EDPM roof which I got from Rubber4Roofs for a total of £423 for a full kit ( 20mx10m). It comes with all the trims for each side. I'll follow the instructional videos which make it look easy.

Will post up some photos when its done.

Sean_ork likes this.
  7. Biochef

Biochef Member

I started my garage roof 5 years ago and it's still not quite finished :oops: