Garage Roof Replacing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bozzy, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Bozzy

Bozzy New Member

Hello All.

I would greatly appreciate some advice regarding renewing of my garage roof.

My garage is single brick walled and detached, the current roof appears to be Asbestos Corrugated Sheeting (11 sheets, 9ft X 2.5ft each).

There is a single lateral joist (as below painted white) on brick pillars, and 2 joists attached to this running the length of the roof, the roof slopes one way, picture below.

[​IMG]

I am planning to totally replace it with OSB3 T+G with EPDM sheeting and but unsure about new joists.

So a few questions as below.

1. Bearing in mind the span is around 9ft, what size joists should I use and spacing?

2. What joist hangers are recommended, should they hang on top of the brick of should I attach a wooden batten to the top of the brick wall with the hangers sat on the batten?

3. As the roof is sloped (LH side wall is 2 bricks higher than RH wall), how should I seat the joists in the hangers, do I install wedges or trim the ends of the joists?

Kind Regards
    Bozzy

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Strange that it falls sideways to the door.

The roof your proposing will be must heavier than the existing so you need to be sure the wall are strong enough to take the extra weight.

3. Bozzy

Bozzy New Member

Sorry, when I say it slopes down to the right, I mean when standing in front of the door it slopes to the right.

Regarding weight, is there a lighter solution?

Regards
    Bozzy

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Wouldn't removal of this require notification and a licensed asbestos contractor?

Kind regards

5. Bozzy

Bozzy New Member

No, according to local council website, as it is domestic and DIY, I can remove it with necessary precautions/bagging etc, and they will dispose for a fee.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

That's interesting because my garage roof is he same material. I will have to look into that further.

Thanks Bozzy

7. Phil the Paver

What's wrong with the existing, from the pic it looks ok.

8. Ed Ugarte

Ed Ugarte New Member

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if it is asbestos. Get the pro's in to remove and dispose of it

9. Phil the Paver

In its solid sheet form its safe, if you break it when removing then there a small risk, but wetting it before removal lessens that risk to next to nowt.

Chippy mick likes this.
  10. Ed Ugarte

Ed Ugarte New Member

Pulling nails or screws from it will release fibers, wetting it down will help but personally I wouldn't want to risk it. If you've ever seen the gear pro removers turn up with, it's not something to be taken lightly.

11. Bozzy

Bozzy New Member

It is the outside edges that are shot, the external width of the garage is just over 9ft so the sheets don't fully overlap the sides, it has "Tarred Foil" to fill the gaps that is full of holes, plus the far end has 2 sheets of clear corrugated plastic that are split.

I really want to replace the lot, googling has given me the idea of new joists and OSB3, however any other ideas would be appreciated.

Regards
    Bozzy

12. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

What lintel is above your garage door?
    Are you planning on hanging joists of that cross beam if so what is the span of that and what size is it?

13. Bozzy

Bozzy New Member

No, I was hoping to remove the current beams and fit new joists on hangers between the side walls.

Above the garage door is a timber beam.

Regards
    Bozzy

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Why don't you just span the joists on top of the walls rather than use joist hangers, or am I missing something?

15. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Yeah new wall plate and bear joists on top would increase height of garage a little though and you would need a facia around after

Bozzy likes this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's what I meant though, finishes it off better than joists sitting in between brick, you're left with then Osb on top then how to provide a decent finish to the epdm around the edges of the garage. Fascia and soffits better job I think, plus always welcome extra headroom in garage, can store more c.rap then :).

Bozzy and SWBUILDERS like this.
  17. Bozzy

Bozzy New Member

I'm OK with the above suggestion, however...

1. Bearing in mind the span is around 9ft, what size joists should I use and spacing?

2. Should the joists sit on the brick or on the current wooden batten?

3. As the roof is sloped (LH side wall is 2 bricks higher than RH wall), how should I seat the joists on the walls, do I install wedges or cut the ends of the joists to produce a flat angled surface?

4. How should I fill the gaps between the joists.

As someone has mentioned, the proposed roof will be a lot heavier, should I be concerned at the weight on the walls and maybe consider a lighter solution?

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

Regards
    Bozzy

18. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

yeah I would scrap the Epdm and have fibreglass with cover trims coming down over the facia and jobs a good un

Bozzy likes this.
  19. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Min 8 x 2 @ 400 centres
    4x2 wall plate on top of bricks half lapped at joins
    and strapped to brick work with metal strapping
    Nogging between joist and facia broad externally
    Weight could be an issue what is the condition of walls and foundation?

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

1. 6x2 would be more than fine, 600centres as it's not going to be walked on. 400 centres if you're twitchy, 18mm Osb.
    2. Can sit joists on brick and infill between with bricks and mortar, take off existing batten and fix a new 4x2 wallplate via bolting to brick, or bedding on mortar and fixing joists to wallplate, then tying down with straps and fixing to walls with plugs and screws.
    3. Cut ends of joists plumb.
    4. See 2.

It's a lot heavier yes, but you've got brick walls supporting joists and Osb, it won't be going anywhere. An alternative to epdm which is lighter is fibreglass, but the Osb has to be perfectly dry to lay it successfully.

Bozzy likes this.