Garage wiring query

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Zico123, May 28, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Shame if I was nearer would av a deco Mr Z (foc) however I live on the borders of the smoke so your gaff is to far away. Anyway good luck Mr Z.

2. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

Cheers buddy, I'm sure I'll find someone before I burn the house down. :D

3. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Just get the guy back to put a 6mm T&E from the CU off the RCD side through a 32A MCB to the Isolator and the Jobs a Good Un

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

And the jobs a Good Un? One must ask the question ''Is the job a good un without testing and verification of final design?''

5. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Good point but it goes without saying if its a Real sparky doing the job testing is part and parcel of the work.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Real sparky, or diyer armed with test instruments, and a copy of the osg coupled with in depth knowledge of dom wiring practises..:D

7. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

Good info.

I wonder why the person who installed the yellow box didn't just do this in the first place? The way it is now must have been just as time consuming.

8. stu1312

stu1312 Member

I didn't say it was a fixed load I said it couldn't be overloaded as the combined rating of the mcbs it feeds can't overload the cable, the same as feeding a switch off a busbar chamber in cable rated at the switch rating not the busbar. If the run is less than 3m to the fuse board this is an acceptable way of feeding a fuse switch. I agree that the single insulated cable isn't ideal but to call it a death trap is massively over the top.

9. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

should not of been left just cut off (or at least that lock off isolator should of had a sparks seal on it) and for those who dont know of sparks seal www.allpadlocks.com/ez-catalog/X380790/25 and then engrave a seal date and code on them with a notice stateing that this lock off has been sealed for safety and its an offence to remove this seal unless by a qualified electrician) as i have done many removal jobs where the cable was in a locked out building and was to be terminated

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I doubt the part P police will turn up.

Sparkielev likes this.
  11. tina lucinda lane

i know its not really an offence but that combined with a seal that needs bolt cutters or screw shears (www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-cable-cutter-210mm/51831) to remove is normaly enough to put off a customer or new owner of an install from breaking a seal

12. tina lucinda lane

that and hears the joke the seals i use are better than those used by most if not all energy suppliers

13. Billy Towler

Billy Towler New Member

I think you're fine mate - grey cable is ok according to the regs and BS7671. If the cable was black or green (reg 2:34:652:78954) then you would be in trouble. Why employ someone who knows what they are doing when you can risk your own house and family to save £100? My advice, get really drunk and do what the hell comes to you!!! Later babes......

14. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

I made the mistake of getting a company to do it for me.

Will have a few pints and have a go myself, wish me luck.