Garden fence replacement!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by g4rfr81, Apr 16, 2017.

1. g4rfr81

g4rfr81 Member

Hi all!
    I'm fairly new to being a home owner and my back garden fence is needing replacing, can I just rip into it and start replacing it or do I have to communicate with neighbours? Didn't know if there's rules and regs with that. We have the "goodside" in our garden does that mean it's ours as such? Also i'm putting a 6ft fence up, it's in Scotland so can be windy at times do I use 8 foot posts and concrete them in 2ft at the bottom? I'm going for a two sided slotted fence to let the wind get through it but how far should I space the posts apart? It's 16 1/2 metres long.

Thanks very much for any help you can give ☺

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Need to check on house deeds to see who the fence belongs to, normally has a 'T' on the boundaries, if its pointing inwards then its' your responsibility.

Did a few panels a couple of years back. Used 9ft slotted concrete posts. Look at using concrete gravel boards, which help keep the panels off the ground and help increase the lifespan of the fence.

Sturdy fence panels (feather edged) are much stronger than the lap panels about double the price.

g4rfr81 likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Always best to communicate with the neighbours, and as Jitender has mentioned, check that the fence belongs to you first.;). The 'good side' is not strictly an indicator of who owns the fence so can be misleading.

g4rfr81 likes this.
  4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Agreed.

The fence between us snd our neighbour blew down and he continued to leave it. It was his fence on both the deeds and by his statements.

After 8 months of hell and him looking into our bedroom (bungalow) through the missing panel we put up our own fence at a huge cost and with police involvement. We have the best side and have lost a chunk of land, but have shut him out.

Check the ownership before you do anything.

Kind regards

g4rfr81 likes this.
  5. g4rfr81

g4rfr81 Member

Thanks for all the feedback people! I'll look into the deeds before i start digging holes and knocking down whats left of the fence!

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Use 8ft posts 2ft buried in concrete, bring the concrete higher up the post and slope it away from the post, spacing each one no more than 2m apart, I prefer 1800 myself but that's me. Use either 4x4 treated timber posts or concrete posts, as they'll never rot.

g4rfr81 likes this.
  7. Good advice above.

Absolutely check the ownership of the fence before touching it, as if it's your neighb's they might become tetchy if you touch it - and could even be 'criminal trespass'!

Convention is actually that the 'good' side of 'your' fence is presented to the neighb, but that is only a courtesy with no legal obligation. So having the good side facing you suggests that this could actually be your neighb's fence...

If it does turn out to be your neighb's responsibility, sadly there is nothing you can do to oblige them to fix it; if they refuse, your only option is to put up your own separate fence and on your side of the border line...

BUT, absolutely have a friendly chat first regardless. If it turns out to be 'their' fence but they are a bit hard up, then it's your call if you might want to offer to go halves or whatever on its replacement.

If they turn out to be complete arrisols (see what I did there... :oops:) and it's clear they have no intention of repairing 'their' fence, then you may decide that the best course of action is to ignore their broken fence and put up your own right alongside it, immediately on your side of the boundary line - at least you'll then be in control of your own fence for the future, and they can continue to stare at their broken one...

g4rfr81 likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Since fence panel are 6' wide both your measurements are wrong, but your right abouts the posts.

If its not panels and is Closed Boarded Feather Edge then it's normally set at 3 metres to post centers, though this is sometimes dropped to 2.4 metres in high wide areas for extra strength.

9. Phil the Paver

That's not totally true, most fence panels or indeed constructed on site fencing is made from the good side, IE: nailed from the good side, so if there's any stray nails protruding and shape they will be on your side, hence why its good side to neighbour. ;)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Aye well I should have mentioned I was basing my measurement on a featheredge fence, not panels. 3metres!? Christ I go much much less than that, like i said I do posts about 2m, sometimes 1800! But to each their own.

11. Phil the Paver

It not a case of each to there own, that's how its done, hence why arris rails are either 3 metres or 2.4 Metres long, they don't make one in either 2.0 or 1.8 metres, unless your buying them from a shed for diy purposes.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I don't use arris rail, treated 3x2's.

13. Phil the Paver

Ok what ever. So do you cut it at an angle to stop water sitting on it and rotting it, hence why arris rails are triangular or do you use cant rails which are 47mm x 125mm and are 2.4 metres shortest, then 3 & 3.6 metres.
    If your going to do a job do it right. ;)

14. g4rfr81

g4rfr81 Member

Thanks people, should of included i'm not using fence panels, i'm gonna use 3 rails along the posts! Dont know what you call it! I'm hoping its gonna be a friendly chat with the neighbours tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No Phil, I don't. Being treated timber it'll take an age to rot, especially as the end grain isn't facing the sky, the first thing to deteriorate usually is the base of the post just entering the ground anyways, so to me it's not crucial that the rails be angled as they're very rarely the first item to wear away. And we are talking about a garden fence here, not bespoke joinery, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

16. Phil the Paver

Close Boarded. Look it up, there are different styles to choose from, some done the professional way, others diy.

17. Phil the Paver

Some correct and some not. Hence why there's specific materials for the job. Each to their own.